FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By xanthoparmelia
I thought 2019 was a bad year for my sarrs, but 2020 has proven to be even more challenging. Last year, I dealt with hailstorms, untimely frosts and thrips. This year, another frost I was unprepared for killed all but one of my blossoms and strong winds have been beating up my pitchers all season long. Even without flowers, my plants have been considerably smaller this year. A few have just recently started putting out some okayish pitchers. Here's a few to share.
Attachments:
Leo Song
Leo Song
IMG_5145.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 3565 times
Catesbaei "Georgia Cat"
Catesbaei "Georgia Cat"
IMG_5160.JPG (2.63 MiB) Viewed 3565 times
Evendine
Evendine
IMG_5146.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 3565 times
Drew McClain
Drew McClain
IMG_5158.JPG (1.51 MiB) Viewed 3565 times
Blood Moon
Blood Moon
IMG_5157.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 3565 times
Dionae, MikeB, Matt and 2 others liked this
By Panman
Those are lovely. I'm hoping to expand my collection to include some of these beautiful hybrids. Right now I mostly have flava, leucophylla, and purpurea. I'm getting some cross seeds and am planning on crossing mine when they get mature.
xanthoparmelia liked this
By xanthoparmelia
Thanks. Doing your own crosses is definitely one of the appeals of growing sarrs in my opinion. Breeding is easy, but getting the perfect combination of traits in a plant can be like playing the lottery. I no longer buy sarrs and will eventually thin out my purchased collection to make room for my own creations.
By ChefDean
Obviously Tennessee is very conducive to Sarrs. If you want to move your collection to my backyard and make regular trips to oversee their care, I'm down.
Local water is about 100 ppm, I can hit them all with the hose to keep them wet when rain is sparse, you just come down to make love connections between boy Sarrs and girl Sarrs. With consent of course.
You down?
xanthoparmelia liked this
By xanthoparmelia
Copper2 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:22 am Dang Xantho! I’m envious of that Drew McClain. It’s one of my favorite sarrs when it colors up!
Yeah, it's a beautiful plant. The lid gets ridiculously white. Plus it stays pretty short, which I prefer. I made a few crosses with it last year and it seems to be a good parent. I've got a handful of promising seedlings from it.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!