FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By idwaneo
Hello, Im a new owner of a werewolf cultivar and as I read this special cultivar has no trigger hairs?

Also if I want to add nitrogen diluted with distilled water to the soil, can I test it with a TDS and apply if the readings are no more than 50 ppm or should be less?
By ChefDean
With no trigger hairs, there's nothing to stimulate the trap to close. Even if you could somehow get it to close, with no trigger hairs it wouldn't seal and digest.
The only thing VFT's need are sunlight and water. Just put it outside and keep it moist.
I would suggest against trying to dilute nitrogen in water as you're describing. TDS meters measure the conductivity of the water, which increases with the salts in the water. Salt and temperature increase conductivity, which increases the TDS reading. I doubt nitrogen would be measured accurately this way.
If you want to fertilize, look at the fertilizer forum to see known, safe fertilizers and ratios.
By ChefDean
I don't know, I don't fertilize my plants.
Go here and read some of the advice from more experienced growers before you do anything.

https://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/fert ... eding.html

Flytraps, and most carnivorous plants for that matter, do not need fertilizer. Just a little too much can kill them.
Proceed at your own risk.
By idwaneo
N 46% fast effect
Superfosfat P2O5 15% + N 4%

This is what i have. Maybe Matt can say something. He does add fertilizer
By idwaneo
I decided to add 1 mini pellet diluted in distilled and added a few drops in each plant. The ppm went from 15 to 40 after adding N 46% , hope nothing bad will happen
By optimus prime
I just wanna step in and say look how legit this is. I didnt know a carnivorous plant can be a bog plant and a succulent at the same time😂
Attachments:
0921752D-2A9B-4591-8762-D4F4E7CAD868.png
0921752D-2A9B-4591-8762-D4F4E7CAD868.png (1.57 MiB) Viewed 4476 times
uxleumas, Panman liked this
By MikeB
optimus prime wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:39 pmSent you picture of my oreophila for trade
Heads up: Sarracenia oreophila is listed as "Endangered" by the U.S. Endangered Species Act, and is listed on CITES Appendix I. You can run into big legal issues by shipping it across state lines. Read this FAQ for more info.
By ChefDean
MikeB wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:56 am
optimus prime wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:39 pmSent you picture of my oreophila for trade
Heads up: Sarracenia oreophila is listed as "Endangered" by the U.S. Endangered Species Act, and is listed on CITES Appendix I. You can run into big legal issues by shipping it across state lines. Read this FAQ for more info.
You can ship it across state lines as long as you don't sell it across state lines. Trading it might be a gray area, but if you each pay your own shipping in the trade, then it's not being sold without the proper permits.
I received an Oreo in Tennessee last year from Nebraska. It was thrown in as a complementary plant, not the one we had discussed.
There are loopholes.
By Copper2
Yeah, very dodgy loopholes I may add. I don’t have any Oreo for this reason. Can be an awesome plant though. They should make more hybrids with it...
ChefDean liked this
By MikeB
Copper2 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:44 amYeah, very dodgy loopholes I may add. I don’t have any Oreo for this reason. Can be an awesome plant though. They should make more hybrids with it...
As endangered as Sarracenia oreophila is, I think people should be more concerned about preserving the species than crossing it with other Sarracenia. My 2¢ worth.
ChefDean liked this
By Matt
idwaneo wrote:Maybe Matt can say something. He does add fertilizer
I typically don't fertilize plants all that often. I usually do it a few times in the spring and try to do it as plants come out of tissue culture and start to get established. I go very lightly on the fertlizer and it does seem to help (minimally). I simply add enough high-nitrogen fertilizer to distilled water to raise the PPM of the water to 100ppm and call it quits there.

However, Werewolf should be able to trap insects. I am pretty sure it has functional traps. I grow lots of Werewolf seedlings and their traps function. I've grown the original Werewolf clone too, but can't recall for sure now if it can trap or not but am fairly confident that it can.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!