FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
So, originally I couldn't find a bunch of baby food jars. I bought a bunch of the clear square containers from phytolabs. I think my environment is just not sterile enough because inevitably I always end up with mold. Well I spent the money and bought the baby food jars (I forgot how expensive they were in store lol). I had bought the lids Matt mentioned in his article, but if I don't have enough can I cover the jars with something else? I mean I could put the original lids on after it goes through the pressure cooker, but what else can I cover them with during the pressure cooker stage? Shipping is just crazy expensive from phyto. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

By optimus prime
Cross wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:59 pm So, originally I couldn't find a bunch of baby food jars. I bought a bunch of the clear square containers from phytolabs. I think my environment is just not sterile enough because inevitably I always end up with mold. Well I spent the money and bought the baby food jars (I forgot how expensive they were in store lol). I had bought the lids Matt mentioned in his article, but if I don't have enough can I cover the jars with something else? I mean I could put the original lids on after it goes through the pressure cooker, but what else can I cover them with during the pressure cooker stage? Shipping is just crazy expensive from phyto. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
A paper towel attached to the top will work. It will hold moisture but also allow air to flow though. If you jawing these for seeds I would recommend using these little dip cups.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 16414 times
By Copper2
Optimus, I am afraid that you do not understand.

Cross, I take it that you are experiencing contamination the majority of the time after the two week stage, am I correct? The clear square containers from phytotech are very good along with their other autoclavable flask and lid combo packs. What is happening though is even though you screw or push the lid down onto the flask there is still airflow going through that tiny gap between the lid and flask and that’s where the bacteria are getting in. So after plating flask you need to seal the lid with some clear tape stuff phytotech has or electric tape and that will give you an airtight seal. It’s always better to be airtight since airflow will dry out the media too
By Copper2
Sealed flask using electric tape
Attachments:
AF140695-3436-421A-82F7-6273A2F9AA04.jpeg
AF140695-3436-421A-82F7-6273A2F9AA04.jpeg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 16402 times
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!