FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Well, provided AKCarnivores on Etsy is reliable at all, I have some D. Capensis Bainskloof sprouts popping out today :D

And worse case, something is growing lol? It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.
By hungry carnivores
Her shop is quite reliable. Plants are nice, but I avoid them and just buy seeds as they are rare and true to species.

Plus, you know how our good friends at the USPS love to treat our CPs.

Good luck with the BK sprouts. I hope you post pics.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Yeah man, I will once there is more to show. Right now I'd be showcasing some algae and a couple leaves :lol: . It seemed legit, I thought the same. I'd mess with the seeds instead of the plants.
By Apollyon
Its been a month or so since my seeds germinated. I wasn't totally sure they were the real thing or not but they've started to really grow and its looking pretty good. I excited about these. Bainskloof is my favorite capensis. Now on to humidity and getting rid of that algae. Going to wash the peat better going forward with seedlings.
Attachments:
20200801_180902.jpg
20200801_180902.jpg (3.9 MiB) Viewed 5776 times
Adriana, Propag8 liked this
By twitcher
I've had mixed results with seeds from AK and no longer deal with them. They have a nice collection of plants and seeds available, but I found the seeds to be unreliable. Some germinate well, but others don't do well for me. My main issue was that I got a rude response, when I informed them about a batch of seeds that did not germinate at all. I usually get good results from our seed bank, so I don't think it was my technique. When someone pays money for seeds, be kind when communicating with a customer when there are poor results. I actively purchase plants and seeds from many vendors, but not them anymore.
Apollyon liked this
By optimus prime
I just looked up “ak seeds” and a bunch of weed sites popped up. I was like ohhhh heck’s nah I’m out
Apollyon liked this
By Adriana
The sprouts look great, thank you for the update! Have you sprayed them with MaxSea? That can really encourage the scum/mold growth IME. I am going to experiment with using a needle to apply a droplet of very dilute MaxSea on my next crop of seedlings (my cat is diabetic so I have the supplies).

Like you said too, washing can really help reduce it. I use the soak/rinse/repeat from the growsundews site.

Please continue to keep us posted :-)
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
I can understand that. There's no sense in being rude to people who buy your stuff. It's also ridiculous to act like capensis seeds aren't readily available. My single capensis alba put out at least 300-500 seeds through its three stalks. Even if someone was trying to be cheap about it, supplying a replacement shouldn't even be an issue. Tbh I was skeptical. To a degree I still am. These are showing characteristics (red tentacles, yellowish gold leaves, red stalk. For now anyway.) but even now I'm not entirely sure. Won't know for a while. Honestly, I want to say that all the seeds werent the same type. I have a second batch that looks much more red than these guys so at best I feel I got a mixed bag. If it's a bust I'll try to offer a trade to someone on here who has a bainskloof. I've been wanting one for quite a while now. It sucks that you have to rely on the integrity of a person you don't know where you'll have to wait months to know if you got a raw deal or not. That's the drawback from the vendors. You don't know their conditions or if they're outdoors and/or openly pollinated etc. Tbh, I probably won't buy from them again. I took a gamble because bainskloof are just uncommon and can't be found now.

I have sprayed with Maxsea , the algae was there within a week or two before they germinated. I've actually thought about purchasing something like that to feed my sarracenia pitchers because some are quite small right now. When I pot it with my usual method the algae doesn't build up because of the lower humidity and fluctuating water levels. These have been under a dome for a while. It has actually improved some. Now that the sprouts have taken, I've been opening it more frequently to vent them more and it's improving the top layer.

AK47 is a strain of marijuana :lol: you'd want to look up AK Carnivores. They sell on etsy and ebay. They get mixed reviews, a lot of people say theyve had good experiences and some have not.

I'll definitely keep updating, especially when they start really developing more. See if they have those characteristics as they mature.
optimus prime liked this
By optimus prime
Well it’s actually called the hemp plant and it has many healing benefits people just use it in the wrong way. Y’all might have known that already thoougj
By twitcher
Just want to add that I really hate moss and algae, especially when it comes to seed starting. Any mix containing peat or a mixture of peat gets rinsed and boiled several times before I use it to try a batch of seeds. After the seeds have been sowed, I also cover with a piece of plastic wrap to discourage moss and mold spores. This gives the seeds a chance to get going before they have to complete with the weeds. I know this is a minority opinion, but keep in mind the seeds I start are Utricularia, pinguicula and drosera, all of which are very small.
By Ben Goudge
optimus prime wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:52 pm I fell like the fbi is gonna breach my house now😂
That depends, is it legal in your state?
By Ben Goudge
Joshuamarshall792 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:38 pm
optimus prime wrote:Well it’s actually called the hemp plant and it has many healing benefits people just use it in the wrong way. Y’all might have known that already thoougj
No marijuana has thc hemp has mostly CBD and marijuana has 0.3% or more and hemp has less than 0.2% or less so they are 2 different plants hemp can't get you high while marijuana has many strains that can get you high

snap em up!!!
Botanically speaking, both plants are the species Cannabis Sativa, kind of like how Sarracenia minor minor and S. m. Okee are very different plants, but are still the same species.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
In the last few weeks these guys have really sprouted up. One pot has anyway. The other has some weaker plants with a few good ones. Got them out in relative humidity. Considering repotting them here tomorrow to separate and give these guys some room to grow. Leaves are widening out. Exciting to watch these guys change all the time.
Attachments:
20200826_194846.jpg
20200826_194846.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 5160 times
Adriana liked this
By Apollyon
It was an undertaking to try to separate the plants but I was able to get them safely separated into their own pots. Put a top layer of silica to deter moss on the very small ones. I wanted to get them free from shade to grow healthier and have kept higher humidity to help them reestablish themselves. Interestingly enough, the top pot was a community pot sown at the same time in the same conditions. Only in the last couple weeks have the bigger plants in it started growing. Most in there are quite small still. No idea what happened with that. Hopefully when these gain some size I can sell some but I plan to have a couple giveaways in the future too. I'm really excited to see how these develop. Theyre in less light than ideal because of space (need another grow rack now) but they have shown a nice yellowish tint to the wider leaves forming and the red crowns on them are very cool. This was an experiment but I've had a blast doing it. It inspired me to sow tons of other seeds. :D
Attachments:
20200903_161100.jpg
20200903_161100.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 2694 times
Adriana, Vanval1230 liked this
Drosera germination time

There are many factors that influence them, and th[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!