FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Propag8
I agree sundeewz but as far as I know only (bt) a specific type of bacteria kills fungus gnat larvae.
By Magic Mutt
Propag8 wrote:Hmmm magic mutt I wonder what you're growing lol.
Lol I dunno man....just some seeds I had lying around ;)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Kato I think the neem oil is virtually all the same but I'm not 100%
By optimus prime
Genesis 2:20: "The man gave names to all livestock and to the birds of the heavens and to every beast of the field. Just command the gnats to go away😂😂😂.
Propag8 liked this
By Adriana
Hi Propaga8 it looks like you can buy mosquito bits (BT) in the UK https://amzn.to/3fdZQje ? I recommend the bits NOT the dunks. The dunks are too slow-release, they are for ponds and such. I eliminated a fungus gnat issue by putting bits in a tray to sit for even just an hour, and watering all my houseplants from the bottom. You can also float in your watering can but they'll get stuck or pour onto the plants which is a nuisance. The actual bits are corn cob (I think) so they can get moldy if they are left sat on the soil. You could use a teabag or cheesecloth I guess, or just strain them out.

FWIW, I used a TDS meter and left mosquito bits in distilled water for an hour and it was 007ppm. So it should be safe for your CPs. If you leave it for days, obviously the corn cob bits will start to rot and change the game.

BT only kills the larvae at one point in the life cycle, so you will need to treat for a few weeks to kill everyone.
Propag8 liked this
By optimus prime
I would just say “gnats I command you to go away”😂 it may no work but it’s worth a shot
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Thanks Adriana I just found this which is also bacillus thuringiensis. It can be used hydroponically or as a soil treatment. Do you think it will be safe on vft. Im worried it may contain some sort of fertilizer. It's made by Canadian express but apparently it's manafacturers in Australia. Used to be called nilnat.
Attachments:
TANLIN.jpg
TANLIN.jpg (13.26 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
By Propag8
Optimus I think ill wait till my wife and kids are out to try it as I'm not religious myself and they already think I'm crazy lol. :shock:
By Adriana
I should also mention there are a few other organic options: nematodes and predatory (Hypoapsis spp) mites. I have done the nematodes (Steinernema feltiae) too, when I bought a few bags of potting mix and opened them to have gnats fly out. I wasn't interested in dumping the bags outside either, because I don't need gnats anywhere, so I used the "pot popper" brand here in the US and put a pouch in each bag and it worked.

I don't recommend the mites for indoors because if they eat up all the prey in the pots they will leave the pot to look for more food (ugh) so that's an outdoor thing only. These are NOT the same genus as the leaf/root attacking mites so no worries there, they are just gross when they are on the march and hangry.

Re: the drops, I would write to the manufacturer. If it's really two drops per 4L of water, that's a very low concentration of nutrients anyway and if you have a TDS meter you could check. I have seen BT sold that way, as a concentrated liquid, I've just never used it. Their website isn't very informative is it?
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Thanks again adriana thats very useful i might just do as you've said with the bits in the tray as i usually tray water from the bottom and you seem to have had success. Like you said the site is (not) very informative when it comes to the actual ingredients. The downside with all these UK hydroponic stores is they just assume everyone who uses them is growing cannabis as most people who use them probably are therefore give limited info on the full ingredients. When I viewed the "Tanlin" safety chart it stated it was a fertilizer but the main advert says nothing of the sort. Very confusing.
By Adriana
Yep the bits are great, just again remember you have to treat for a few weeks because it doesn't affect eggs or adults. Be cautious also not to let the bits sit and rot.

I bought a plug of utric recently that apparently had some fungus gnat larva, after all I've done to eradicate these buggers! So what I did with all of my sundews is set up a deep container of distilled and mosquito bits and soak the container in there for a few minutes so the whole medium gets infused. I will do that once a week or so (not for any scientific reason, it's just my best guess) and then put them back in their cache pots that have 1/4" or so of water.

It probably IS good to water from the top, as the larvae like to be near the surface, but you'd have to infuse and strain. I do that sometimes using a fine mesh drain strainer I got just for when I work with my plants in the sink (like this https://amzn.to/39QPQLB). I pour from a wide-spouted watering can or you can use a bowl, whatever, into a regular one.
By Propag8
Optimus i didnt word that very well. I mean they will think im crazy for shouting at my plants. I dont mean being religous is crazy. You seem to have very good faith and I'm sure that's why your such a good guy I just wasn't raised around religion that's all I meant so commanding my gnats to leave would seem extra strange to my family lol. I hope I didn't offend you. :D
By Propag8
That's great Adriana that's what I'll do then along with the other guys advice on catching the adults e.g. yellow sticky cards etc. So I'll infuse the bits in water (I use collected rainwater) strain it and then tray water as well as watering from the top (I use a large syringe to avoid wetting the crown to much) and do this about once a week. I only really water on average once every 5 days or so as they are indoor growing I like to leave them as long as possible to avoid any rotting. Is all this correct in treating them? Thanks
By optimus prime
Propag8 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:24 pm Optimus i didnt word that very well. I mean they will think im crazy for shouting at my plants. I dont mean being religous is crazy. You seem to have very good faith and I'm sure that's why your such a good guy I just wasn't raised around religion that's all I meant so commanding my gnats to leave would seem extra strange to my family lol. I hope I didn't offend you. :D
Nah man your good. Well the plants know their creator so they would be fine but your family would be like “let’s go get him tested”😂😂😂
Propag8 liked this

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!