FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Propag8
Technically you dont have to feed them at all if they are getting plenty of light especially if you put them outside they will catch stuff on their own. As my plants only go out when it's sunny I'm in the UK so not sunny that often so I supplement with food maybe once every 2 weeks or when a trap I previously fed has reopened. You can feed them almost any live insects that are no bigger than 1/3 the size of the trap your feeding. Some people use dried bloodworms from aquatic supplies but then you have the hassle of stimulating the trap to fully close and digest. I prefer live food its a more natural process. Also be prepared for the trap you fed to blacken and die off this is very common and normal the plant still received the nutrients from the food and will use this for new growth.
By ChefDean
^^^^What he said.
Put them outside and let them do their thing. If they don't catch bugs, no worries. They'll get all they need from the sun.
That being said, if you put them outside, it's likely that you'll have more traps closed than open due to them catching their own bugs.
My VFT's are about a 90%/10% closed/open.
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
On average if I leave mine out for a day then it will catch one thing and its always the biggest and nicest trap that I'd rather not feed. I suppose it depends where you live. Possibly sanguine your traps are a little slowed down have you repotted or changed the environment recently?
By optimus prime
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:18 am
ChefDean wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:30 pm
How? My vft rarely catches its own bugs and most of the time when the traps are closed it hasn’t caught anything.
I have the same problem. Sometimes i place the trap next to a fly, the fly usually will slowly inch closer to doom.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By ChefDean
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:18 am
ChefDean wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:30 pm
How? My vft rarely catches its own bugs and most of the time when the traps are closed it hasn’t caught anything.
I just let nature take its course. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I'm on the edge of city limits, so there is no shortage of bugs that come to visit. (Behind my fence is a corn field,
and woodlands beyond that) I even got a Dente five days ago, and she caught her first meal yesterday.
Northwest Tennessee is close enough to their natural range that they must like the weather. It may stimulate them to be a little more outgoing in attracting and catching their meals.
Today, after posting that mine are 90% closed, a few opened up overnight, so it's more like 60% right now. By tonight, most of them will be closed again with a tasty morsel sealed for all eternity. Well, for a few days at least.
20200729_064327.jpg
20200729_064327.jpg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 4500 times
By ChefDean
Joshuamarshall792 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:51 pmHey Dean what cultivar is the vft with the long stems

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
The cluster in the front right? Or the single in the back left?
By ChefDean
Technically, they're typicals. However, the cluster started out as two separate plants, and both have created quite a few divisions.
If you look carefully, in the left of the cluster pot there is a small cluster that started out as a Lowes deathcube. I believe there are four or five plants now.
On the right side of that pot is my baby. Officially a typical, but it is seed grown from an OP Wally (I don't like that name now for some reason). That plant was was a seed early last year, grew like a monster, sent up a flower stalk this year, and now looks to be seven or eight plants.
I may not be able to wait until Spring to repot them, but I hope I can wait until it cools down a bit.
Propag8 liked this
By optimus prime
but it is seed grown from an OP Wally (I don't like that name now for some reason).
[/quote]

I wonder why🤔
ChefDean, Propag8 liked this
By rikos4ey
On occasion, I will open the doors to my house to let a fly come in. Then i'll swat it with a fly swatter, but lightly so that its not completely dead. Then put in a trap and when it comes out of its "coma" it starts moving its legs and stuff and it will trigger the trap to close.
optimus prime liked this
By optimus prime
rikos4ey wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:08 pm On occasion, I will open the doors to my house to let a fly come in. Then i'll swat it with a fly swatter, but lightly so that its not completely dead. Then put in a trap and when it comes out of its "coma" it starts moving its legs and stuff and it will trigger the trap to close.
Dude you are sick and messed up.... I love it!
By optimus prime
One time I smacked a fly with a fly swatter and it screamed “I’m telling my mom”
By Copper2
Joshuamarshall792 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:58 pm
optimus prime wrote:but it is seed grown from an OP Wally (I don't like that name now for some reason).
I wonder whyImage
Lololololololololololololol

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
[/quote]
Am I missing something? Wally is one of the most vigorous and colorful VFTs
optimus prime liked this

I'm planning on converting my current 2'x4' into […]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!