FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By kato_stud25
Just curious how some of you store your peat media mix? Do you make it up ahead of time and make a bunch to use at a later time if so how do you store it? Do you store it wet or let it dry before storing?
By optique
I have two small 2g buckets i use to mix it, when i make to much i set the empty bucket inside the one with media and place in my storage building . It will dry over time but i just add water and remix.

I have a pile of mulch that has almost fully decomposed if i mix it 1:1 with left over peat/perlite it makes great potting soil for normal none CP plants.

Also 2 parts of the decomposed mulch 1 part perlite 1 part sand makes a great cactus/succulent mix
By steve booth
Slightly tricky one, the answer lies in how long you want to store it.
Long term storage I mix it up and store as dry as possible so the media doesn't degrade and release nutrients so fast, keeping it fairly fresh and nutrient-free still. It's a proper bugger trying to rewet it when you want to use it, but a couple of days in a bucket of rainwater and some agitation does the job.
Cheers
Steve
By MikeB
I store my carnivorous plant soil in plastic cat litter buckets with lids (reduce, reuse, recycle!). When I mix up batches, I squeeze out the peat moss so it's damp instead of soggy-wet. I just set the lid on the bucket instead of snapping it down tight; this lets fresh air seep in. These two things discourage mold from growing on the soil. Also, my soil batches rarely sit for more than 2 or 3 months (I go through it pretty quickly).
By optimus prime
MikeB wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:12 pm I store my carnivorous plant soil in plastic cat litter buckets with lids (reduce, reuse, recycle!). When I mix up batches, I squeeze out the peat moss so it's damp instead of soggy-wet. I just set the lid on the bucket instead of snapping it down tight; this lets fresh air seep in. These two things discourage mold from growing on the soil. Also, my soil batches rarely sit for more than 2 or 3 months (I go through it pretty quickly).
I didnt see the litter bucket part so to me it said “ I store mine In a plastic cat”
By MikeB
optimus prime wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:35 pmI didnt see the litter bucket part so to me it said “ I store mine In a plastic cat”
Why yes, I do. When I pump the tail, it poops out plant soil.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Invasion_UwU_OwO_69_
I leave it out, but that's mainly because I prepare the stuff by flooding it in a 5 gal bucket. If I have left overs, then that usually means I start looking for more plants to add or repot seedlings.
By Apollyon
I use a 5 gallon bucket and usually mix enough for a few. I usually end up transplanting a lot at a time and it makes it much easier to just have it on hand. Excess usually gets stored in some sealed container (whatever I have available). It's particularly helpful when I'm messing with mexican pings because of the amount of ingredients I use and measuring with lime. If you have a place to store it and find yourself gaining a lot of new plants, it's definitely less of a hassle to do a bunch in one go and just fill in more pots when you need it.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!