FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nepenthes0260
@Chef, if you are growing outdoors, a heli would not do very well. I grow mine in an old closet which I have modified into a cool, humid grow chamber. Humidity is around 98% in there now days and temps never go over 72. This hybrid is easy, but still I wouldn't expose it to temps over 85. If you're wanting something new to try, I'd try a Darlingtonia. I think people overestimate how difficult cobras are, I grow mine right with my sarrs and it does well. It even flowered this spring. Just make sure to keep the roots cool, and if you do their top growth can handle 100+ temps!
By ChefDean
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:33 pm @Chef, if you are growing outdoors, a heli would not do very well. I grow mine in an old closet which I have modified into a cool, humid grow chamber. Humidity is around 98% in there now days and temps never go over 72. This hybrid is easy, but still I wouldn't expose it to temps over 85. If you're wanting something new to try, I'd try a Darlingtonia. I think people overestimate how difficult cobras are, I grow mine right with my sarrs and it does well. It even flowered this spring. Just make sure to keep the roots cool, and if you do their top growth can handle 100+ temps!
Thanks for the info.
I've thought of Cobra Lilies, but I'm gone during the hottest part of the day, so the roots would heat up. So no go on them.
Thanks again.
By ChefDean
optimus prime wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:34 pm I just tell my wives to suck it up and deal with it and they seem fine with that
Wives, huh? Are you from Utah by chance?
Panman, Ben Goudge liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Here's one of my divisions of this hybrid that has been looking particularly nice recently. I divided my main plant this fall so have one or two flowering size divisions of this clone for sale, if anyone's interested.
Heliamphora tatei (Duida) x pulchella (Amuri)
IMG_9935.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 3410 times
IMG_9936.jpg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 3410 times
IMG_9932.jpg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 3410 times
Matt liked this
By madrone
What a gorgeous plant! This whole thread makes me want to try helis again, but I'm going to resist until I can give them a set-up where they'll thrive. Until then I'll keep enjoying other folks' well-grown (and photographed) plants! Keep 'em coming.
Panman, Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Nepenthes0260
madrone wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:13 pm What a gorgeous plant! This whole thread makes me want to try helis again, but I'm going to resist until I can give them a set-up where they'll thrive. Until then I'll keep enjoying other folks' well-grown (and photographed) plants! Keep 'em coming.
Thank you! Some helis are definitely pickier/slower than others. This one is a pretty vigorous hybrid. I believe I’ve been growing it for a few years now.
By madrone
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Thank you! Some helis are definitely pickier/slower than others. This one is a pretty vigorous hybrid. I believe I’ve been growing it for a few years now.
Well, I will definitely be picking your brain for vigorous hybrids at some future date. Might as well dip back into heli-land with something that's known as being a happy grower.
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!