FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Invasion_UwU_OwO_69_
I've been lurking around most of this year. I kinda dove head first into growing venus flytraps, so it'll be interesting come winter to see what makes it through dormancy.
My main goal is to start breeding fly traps and eventually push against that 2inch ceiling. My collection mostly contains cultivars that are known for their size and vigor, but I do have a few reds and all greens as well. Hopefully, they'll all flower come next spring.
Unfortunately due to a ongoing world status effect, my collection growth has hit a wall. EU sites are closed and I don't want to be bidding over $150 on ebay just to own a very small plant of a giant EU cultivar that might just die come winter.

Below is 'Low Giant', 'Grun' behind it, and 'B52 x slack's giant' to the right.
Attachments:
20200725_151746.jpg
20200725_151746.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 3478 times
ChefDean liked this
By Cross
ChefDean wrote:Nothing wrong with lurking, kinda creepy, but flattering at the same time.
Welcome.
I echo this Image

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

By Cross
Invasion_UwU_OwO_69_ wrote:I've been lurking around most of this year. I kinda dove head first into growing venus flytraps, so it'll be interesting come winter to see what makes it through dormancy.
My main goal is to start breeding fly traps and eventually push against that 2inch ceiling. My collection mostly contains cultivars that are known for their size and vigor, but I do have a few reds and all greens as well. Hopefully, they'll all flower come next spring.
Unfortunately due to a ongoing world status effect, my collection growth has hit a wall. EU sites are closed and I don't want to be bidding over $150 on ebay just to own a very small plant of a giant EU cultivar that might just die come winter.

Below is 'Low Giant', 'Grun' behind it, and 'B52 x slack's giant' to the right.
Start prepping for winter now. Make your plans on what you're going to do. If you can leave them out, great. If not, formalize that now. I've lost somewhere around 250 plants to a winter I wasn't expecting(it was really early.). And welcome! Give it time, you'll amass a collection soon enough. Fill out a grow list and put a request over in the sales board. Hopefully someone can help you with your collection growth.

By Invasion_UwU_OwO_69_
Cross wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:16 am I've lost somewhere around 250 plants to a winter I wasn't expecting(it was really early.). And welcome! Give it time, you'll amass a collection soon enough. Fill out a grow list and put a request over in the sales board. Hopefully someone can help you with your collection growth.

:shock: One of my big fears is to lose everything over winter. I'll be sure to plan on clearing out some space on the basement shelves and getting some plastic trays.
By MikeB
Invasion_UwU_OwO_69_ wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:21 am :shock: One of my big fears is to lose everything over winter. I'll be sure to plan on clearing out some space on the basement shelves and getting some plastic trays.
Even here, just 40 miles (65 kilometers) west of the flytrap's native range, I have to keep an eye on the winter weather. I occasionally get hard cold snaps where the nighttime temperature drops below 20 F (-7 C). If my plants were growing in a large bog garden, it wouldn't be a big deal. However, they're in pots, which makes them more exposed (instead of the cold coming in from the top, it comes in from the top, sides, and bottom). I have to pick up all of the trays and haul them into my unheated garage. They sit inside there for a handful of days at the most, then they're right back outside. One of these days, I'm going to make a portable cold frame that I can stretch over the plants and stick a low heater inside. As long as I can keep the temperature just above freezing, my plants will be fine.
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!