FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By rikos4ey
Once traps start turning black, do you guys trim the trap off?

Do you wait for the entire stem to turn black and then trim or pull it out?

Recommendations?

For me, I have been waiting for the entire stem to turn black and then eventually pulling them out. But I see some people saying that the plant is using energy which could be used for the rest of the plant. Thoughts?
By Panman
If the leaf is green, it is performing photosythesis and providing energy to the rest of the plant. Wait until it is completely dead before removing it.
By uxleumas
wait until they're a very crumbly or until they start to mold, if it's yellow the plant could be taking back the energy and nutrients so that it doesn't waste any energy. search up "ghost cephalotus" on the flytrap care fourms and there's an nice example on how the plant takes back energy and stuff. you can trim the black/brown parts whenever you want though
By schmeg
In summer, I'm more aggressive about trimming.

On a barely-hanging-in-there indoor vft, go with the common advice to wait until the leaf is completely withered, then pull off. Same with plants in dormancy: give it all the leaf surface possible.

But on healthy outdoor plants during the growing season, I prefer to do a frequent grooming inspection (at home all day during pandemic) and give my plants the spa treatment. I use little skinny scissors to trim a leaf in sections, cutting away what's black and leaving the rest, to keep the plants looking their most impressive.

If this has compromised the plants, I sure can't tell. They are growing well. And they look so attractive, which is why I have them in the first place.
Propag8 liked this
By Panman
schmeg wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:39 pm In summer, I'm more aggressive about trimming.

But on healthy outdoor plants during the growing season, I prefer to do a frequent grooming inspection (at home all day during pandemic) and give my plants the spa treatment.
Ain't nobody got time for that! :lol:
Propag8 liked this
By rikos4ey
schmeg wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:39 pm

But on healthy outdoor plants during the growing season, I prefer to do a frequent grooming inspection (at home all day during pandemic) and give my plants the spa treatment. I use little skinny scissors to trim a leaf in sections, cutting away what's black and leaving the rest, to keep the plants looking their most impressive.
So if the trap is black, but the stem is green, you've been cutting off the trap only? So basically it just looks like a green stem coming out of soil/moss?
By schmeg
rikos4ey wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:05 pmSo if the trap is black, but the stem is green, you've been cutting off the trap only? So basically it just looks like a green stem coming out of soil/moss?
Yep, that's right. Among a dozen or more other leaves, the trapless leaf isn't noticeable. The big healthy green/red traps are what draw the eye.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!