FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
Acclimate it to the sun: 1 hour of morning sun per day for the 1st week, 2 hours per day for the 2nd week, and so on. I would give it direct sun from dawn until about 2 PM, then shade or dappled sun after that. Try to keep it out of the hot, late-afternoon sun.

You might be able to keep it outside during the winter. On those nights where the temperate dips below 50 F (10 C), put your plant in an unheated garage or shed, then move it back outside in the morning.
Adriana liked this
By optique
I have a few growing wild in pots of stuff i take outside they are living fine but they look very ratty looking i am thinking it the heat. mostly upper 90's in the day 70's at night and humid most of the time.

full sun

Dappled sun
By ChefDean
Most everybody knows I live in northwestern Tennessee, and my Capes can stay out early Spring to late Fall. However, by the time June rolls around, I need to bring them in. Despite the high humidity (RH generally 60%ish/90%+ day/night, the temps start to do a number when the hit the mid 80's. They only get direct morning sunlight until about 11, but they go downhill with the heat.
If I were to leave them out during the hottest part of the year, they would survive. But they would be stressed and look horrible.
By MikeB
I have an experiment going on at the moment. I live in east-central North Carolina, and it's pretty darn hot and humid here during the summer. This year, 5 little Cape sundews sprouted in my pots. I have no idea where they came from because I haven't had any Capes for the past 3 years. I transplanted them into one pot and set it out with my flytraps. They get direct sun from dawn until about 2 o'clock in the afternoon, poured on by the thunderstorms, and catch whatever they can. They're doing fine so far.
ChefDean liked this
By steve booth
I live in the UK and have capensis growing outdoors in in ground bogs. They die back to their roots but always come back in the spring and they have been down to -15C on occasion, so they are truly indestructible.
Cheers
Steve
Not what you would expect...

But, of course. It’s always good to have one[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Ah, an Xtreem "purpurea". My favorite nu[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!