FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sanguinearocks101
Hi guys, my King Henry has been doing bad for a while, the leaves are turning black before they open and I hope it’s savable. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help it? It’s planted in a 50/50 mix of peat moss and sand. Watered with water from my AC. And it’s currently inside right next to a sunny window.
Attachments:
32D7681F-8CBE-4B2D-82D1-DC675EA74A1D.jpeg
32D7681F-8CBE-4B2D-82D1-DC675EA74A1D.jpeg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 4212 times
By Matt
Can you put it in better light and take another photo? It looks light starved, mineral burned, and possibly has more issues, but it's hard to see anything in the photo because the lighting is all wrong for a good photo (it was taken toward the sunlight, darkening anything in the foreground).
By camsdad66
Ouch man! King Henry looks ruff! (Just kidding) I got one several months ago and he's not doing so well....very small, but hanging in there. I thought it was supppsed to be a vigorous plant. Mine is growing outside, perhaps doesn't like the hot Louisiana summer! Yours looks like maybe doesn't like the AC water, maybe. I hope he pulls through!Image

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

By sanguinearocks101
There might have been some dust in the bucket I collected the water in. Would reporting it in a styrofoam cup and putting it outdoors be good?
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 4202 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 4202 times
By Matt
Not sure what is going on, but there are definitely multiple problems with that VFT. Lack of light and mineral burn are two of them. Possibly pests and perhaps it got too dehydrated too. Still hard to tell from the photos.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By camsdad66
It does look like there's a new shoot coming from the middle, so it may very well bounce back! Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

By optique
I know it can be done but I would not even try keeping a VFT inside(In growing season), King H. is a fast grower after you put it in the sun it should recover and look really good next spring.
By Apollyon
I'm wondering if that plant would benefit from the Scott's Disease EX fungicide. I saw a post about it on here and tried it out on my VFTs a few days ago. They appear to be responding to it favorably. More vibrant green because it apparently has an effect on it's chlorophyll production and preserves the leaves longer, allowing for more photosynthesis and in turn more growth (in theory anyway). I say that because if there is something going on with the soil or near the growth point it may help counteract some of that. Saw this guy on youtube doing it and said it helped his plants recover from an overwintering experiment he did indoors. I had bad luck indoors myself with VFTs and hardened the rest of my stuff off. They definitely are at a lower risk out in the sunlight. I've never tried using AC water personally but I have two window units and I have been tempted to try because I could collect a decent amount of it. What is the TDS on AC water and is it generally safe?
By sanguinearocks101
Apollyon wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:32 am I'm wondering if that plant would benefit from the Scott's Disease EX fungicide. I saw a post about it on here and tried it out on my VFTs a few days ago. They appear to be responding to it favorably. More vibrant green because it apparently has an effect on it's chlorophyll production and preserves the leaves longer, allowing for more photosynthesis and in turn more growth (in theory anyway). I say that because if there is something going on with the soil or near the growth point it may help counteract some of that. Saw this guy on youtube doing it and said it helped his plants recover from an overwintering experiment he did indoors. I had bad luck indoors myself with VFTs and hardened the rest of my stuff off. They definitely are at a lower risk out in the sunlight. I've never tried using AC water personally but I have two window units and I have been tempted to try because I could collect a decent amount of it. What is the TDS on AC water and is it generally safe?
Thanks for the idea! I forgot about that stuff. AC water is collected from the humidity in the air so it should be distilled. I think mine were harmed from dust that collected in the bucket
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Thanks for the idea! I forgot about that stuff. AC water is collected from the humidity in the air so it should be distilled. I think mine were harmed from dust that collected in the bucket
Ah right on, I'll put out a couple of 5 gallon jugs and give it a try. Glad you got it worked out, I'll be pulling for that plant. I always enjoy a good comeback story. If it starts bouncing back, take a picture! I recently decided to try Scott's Disease EX on my Drosera Regia (I have two of them and they're more tolerant overall) because I believe they came from the same clone and I wanted to compare differences between the two. They're both in the same conditions but I'm hoping it maintains those wicked leaves and holds their dew longer lol. I saw a post about it here on FTF but no one had an answer, I'll have to report if something happens.
By ChefDean
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:16 pmThanks for the idea! I forgot about that stuff. AC water is collected from the humidity in the air so it should be distilled. I think mine were harmed from dust that collected in the bucket
The only problem with the AC water is the pipes.
It was only recently that most every AC contractor went to PVC pipe exclusively for the condensate runoff. Even some newer installs have a unit where there is copper at the unit, then an adapter is installed to run PVC the rest of the way out to save money. Copper pipe ain't cheap.
Some do have the ability to run PVC right from the unit to the outside. However, since copper is an excellent conductor of heat, many units have copper or a copper alloy vanes inside the unit too that the water contacts.
Unfortunately, copper isn't good to plants, and TDS meters don't read it. It can slowly poison your plants, and there's almost no way to detect it if it is copper.
I wouldn't recommend using AC water exclusively. But, in a pinch, any water is better than no water.
By sanguinearocks101
I am proud to announce that my vft is on the road to recovery. I see some new green growth coming up. Just a note, this is not where it usually stays, the usual spot doesn’t get direct sunlight this late in the day.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 3912 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 3912 times
Adriana liked this
By optique
its going to be a slow recovery this growing season, but next spring it will look great.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!