FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Propag8
Hi guys I'm buying a second cfl lamp and reflector for my vft plants my current is 200w cool white 6400k but I want slightly more power for my second light so I know Ill be going for a 300w bulb this time but my go to hydroponics shop has suggested 14000k super cool white cfl from Lumii my 200w is also Lumii but im dubious as to whether its any good as ive never heard of this Kelvin (14000k) Should I buy it or stick to 6400k thanks guys. I don't have the wallet to just "give it a try" so any input would be much appreciated. I have attached the light spectrum graphs here seems the 14000k has a lot more blue light spectrum and less red than 6400k. As I won't be letting my plants flower it seems likely that the extra blue light would be a benefit.
Attachments:
content_cool-white.jpg (60.6 KiB) Viewed 7464 times
content_super-cool.jpg (61.34 KiB) Viewed 7464 times
By Propag8
As I haven't had any responses so far I decided to delve into the 14000k spectrum online. For anyone interested it seems that the 14000k lamp are more suited to aquaculture such as corals and aquatic plants. The added phosphorus in the tubes to achieve the high blue spectrum apparently reduce light output due to the thick layers in the tubes. It is generally an unbalanced spectrum aimed at increased growth speed in seedlings but in reality it seems it's a gimmick I'll be sticking to the tried and tested 6400k with a good natural light balance. :D just another "new product" that's not worth it. Next time I go to the hydroponic shop I'll explain that vft are not corals or aquatic even though it's closely related to the waterwheel plant lol.
Matt liked this
By Propag8
I had to dig into some shady grow sites to find any info cos not a lot online about them but it's the most relevant points I could find.
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!