FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Wood1988
I have a Venus Flytrap and Purple Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia Purpurea 'Venosa'. They both grow outside at the moment but I'm planning on setting up a terrarium, which is why I require a sundew (the tall trumpet pitchers exceed the height of the tank so I'm sticking to small plants).

Here is a picture of the potential seedling (it could be a weed) that i was describing earlier.
Attachments:
grass with orange bulb.
grass with orange bulb.
Inked shoot.jpg (3.88 MiB) Viewed 4006 times
By Propag8
I couldn't tell you what it is to be honest. I was asking if you had plants as propagation of an existing plant would be easier and quicker than seeds if you wanted multiple plants.
By Wood1988
Going by the looks of things (still no germination) I am looking more towards buying an adult Cape Sundew online from a nursery as it could be months before seeing a full size plant grow from a seedling. Also the garden centres seem to have run out of sundews.

Is Amazon (the UK version) a good place to buy plants from?
By Propag8
Little shop of horrors (southwest carnivorous) have drosera capensis in stock £6.00 and also alba drosera capensis. I can highly recommend this place. Amazon is hit and miss like ebay some sellers are genuine some not. Also very safe for delivery from southwest carnivorous they package plants very well.
By Wood1988
Thanks,

I have just purchased a Drosera Capensis Giant Form from Tiffid Nurseries. The main concern I have is that I'm not sure if it is Red or not (the picture showed red tentacles).

I'm just going to wait until it arrives.
By Propag8
Well im glad you got one so you can continue your project. Im looking to buy a couple more flytraps myself this week from triffid but they have a massive choice. I want to start an FTS collection and they have three FTS cultivars there so that's what I'll probably go for I managed to get FTS purple ambush recently but she's a bit sick but coming back slowly. Having an FTS collection in UK is awesome to me as you can't get plants from United States shipped here so I'm like an old school orchid hunter searching for FTS fly traps. :D
By Wood1988
Hi.

Just a quick update. I checked on my Drosera Capensis seeds yesterday and I believe they have sprouted.

I have attached a photo of three seedlings.

My question is are these Sundews or more weeds, as I compared them to googles images of Cape sundew seedlings and they look similar (my photos are a bit blurry as I used my smartphone)?
cheers.
By Wood1988
Sorry, my photo was too large in memory so I am attaching a smaller one.

These look like sundews (very similar to the ones on google images) but still not sure.
Attachments:
Seedlings higlighted in blue
Seedlings higlighted in blue
Inkedseed3_LI.jpg (3.81 MiB) Viewed 3846 times
By Wood1988
Any idea of timeframe, as I am waiting for the delivery of an adult Sundew?
By Wood1988
Thanks.

My adult plant arrives on Tuesday.

Anyway, the seedlings look different to the grass like weed I discovered, plus there are a lot more of the same thing as I sprinkled the seeds, so i'm more convinced that they are the sundews.
Propag8 liked this
By Wood1988
Hi All,

I recieved the adult sundew today ( its the giant red form). Could you please advise me on how to revive it as the leaves are turning black and the whole plant looks as if it is dying, the plant was like this before I opened the packaging and I think I killed it by putting it outside (it's very windy today and wind can kill sundews)?

Cheers.
By Wood1988
I have brought it inside to the kitchen next to a sunny window to provide shelter from the wind.

Here is a picture of my supposedly new plant.

What should I do to restore it to full health?
Attachments:
sundew.jpg
sundew.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 3742 times

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!