FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By [SLO]CarniPlants
Hello guys, I have seen this forums before, but I never registered. It was about time to join this community after I joined one on Reddit.

I got into this hobby about two and a half months ago, when I saw VFT in one of the hardware stores. I decided to get it and keep it (I killed a few when I was younger) forever. A couple of days later, I got another few plants, and less than 2 weeks in I had 10 regular VFTs. Then, I wanted to order some cultivars from the internet and I can tell you, finding someone online who ships to Slovenia was a hassle.
I went on Ebay and there was a guy in Italy who was selling nice looking cultivars at affordable prices. I bid on some, but I couldn't pay for it as the seller was only shipping to Italy. So seller and I agreed to pay via Paypal and I was happy about it. I was waiting for that package for a month, and nkthing arrived. I was sure seller tried to scam me. No tracking, late responses. So I told him I want my money back, OR he sends package again with tracking, so I can make sure it's really on the way. 3 days after ue sent the package, it arrived! I got my first Sarracenia (Barbra), VFT cultivars: Trevis Red Dentate, Whale and another one which I can't remember at the moment.

Meanwhile, I found a family nursery in the UK and ordered some more plants from there:
Akai Ryu,
Pinguicula
2 droseras
G14
G17xG14
Nephentis
2 more VFT cultivars
Live Sphagnum moss.

A couple of days ago, I ordered B52 (really hard to find ATM), Cephalotus, Nephentis Balck Jack, Sarracenia (2x), Drosera, so it should arrive within a couple of days now.
I also got one Nephentis from a local nursery (in the first few weeks).

Today, I went into that hardware shop again, and they had no VFTs on display (the only carnivorous plants they sell there), so I asked one of the staff members about them. The lady told me they were in "bad" shape so they removed them and I can get them discounted. Upon seeing them, I could immediately see they were severly dehydrated, so I got to them just in time. There were 4 of total. My plan was to get 2, because I though discount is going to be around 20% or so. The guy told me it's 80% off, so I decided to get all 4 of them! First 2 were 80 off and the rest 90% off! That was definitely the best deal I ever got! You won't believe me, but I paid 3.54€ for 4 perfectly healthy plants who just needed a bit of love.
I immediately repotted them and placed them on trays with the rest of the plants.
Oh, and I must not forget: tomorrow, I will finish my project of mini DIY greenhouse, so I can secure the plastics cover and safely store all of the plants in. So far, they seem to be happy with their new home. You can also check my posts on Reddit u/StrlA
I will update this thread with finished greenhouse and picture of all the plants when they arrive.

Sorry for long post, but I am really excited about everything that has happened so far. Sorry for all the grammar mistakes.

P.s: I am kindly accepting any kind of carnivorous plants seeds if anyone has too many of them. I want to expand my collection, so I can trade with friends (and make new ones).
Thank you for taking your time to read this post,
StrlA
By ChefDean
No apologies necessary for your long post. You are excited and had a lot to say, we've all been there. (Some of us are still there)
I would respectfully suggest that maybe slow down on getting more plants for a bit. It's your hobby, but in 2 1/2 months you just got 35 plants by my count. Some require more care, some you can ignore as long as you keep it wet. You're going to be busy.
Good luck with your instant garden, you're going to enjoy it.
[SLO]CarniPlants liked this
By [SLO]CarniPlants
Thanks! Yes, thats is true. I have about 40 plants in total now, and some clones will (hopefully) start growing soon, so that's even more plants! I spend about 30 minutes each day making sure they are all doing well, trimming leaves and checking for any bad signs. I expect them to get me so busy I'll have to spend 2-3 hours daily on them. I want to turn this into big hobby and small business, maybe giveaways etc
ChefDean liked this
By Matt
Welcome to the FlytrapCare forums! I'm glad you decided to join us here. It is a very friendly and helpful community of enthusiasts. I love your enthusiasm about the hobby as well and am happy that you were able to finally get a few Venus flytrap cultivars to grow in Slovenia. Good growing! :D
[SLO]CarniPlants liked this
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!