FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By vhercastillo
Can I use aluminum baking pans/container as a water tray for my carnivorous plants? I like the way they bounce the lights, I was just wondering if it will have an effect on the plants.

Sample pic attached.
Attachments:
IMG_20200701_163207.jpg
IMG_20200701_163207.jpg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 3595 times
By Propag8
They are usually disposable so the coating probably isn't that tough and once water makes direct contact with the alloy it will oxidize and give off some probably harmful by products as well as looking all crusty. If the coating holds up maybe they will be ok im sure someone more experienced will say for definite if they are ok or not. Also they will absorb heat like crazy. Alu can absorb and dissipate heat very rapidly so if your keeping in constant water it may counteract the heat absorption but as for the oxidisation I think it will happen eventually.
By steve booth
They arent good for the plants I'm afraid the acidic water rots them and releases the aluminum into the water. I did it once many years ago, they lasted about a year before getting pin holed and leaking, but the plants didn't reach their potential.
Cheers
Steve
By Z_Y
I used to grow a whole terrarium of highland cps in aluminum trays, and did it for maybe ~3 years with no issues. Eventually the the trays started to get little white splotches of crystallization on them, but didn't seem to be dissolvable or harmed the plants in any way. Plus if you just swap out the trays every year it shouldn't be an issue (I was just lazy).

I never really took a picture of my trays, but in this pic you can see the aluminum below.

That being said, aluminum ions are toxic to plants. The oxide that forms is actually not soluble in water and probably harmless like sand, but at a low enough PH he actual aluminum ions start dissolving into the water and may harm roots. It is said online that it harms the roots ability to absorb some nutrients like phosphorous, maybe cps not being dependent on that are a bit more robust to this? But then again in practice I never had any issues. I was growing N. rajah, N. aristolochioides, bunch of helis, etc.
DSC08942.JPG
DSC08942.JPG (223.04 KiB) Viewed 3292 times
By nycredneck
Aluminum trays I used for things other than growing CP's always got little pinholes in a month or two.
By Propag8
Sounds about right Z_Y with the root issue as aluminum chlorohydrate is a very common ingredient in anti perspirant/deodorant im sure it could cause issues with water uptake too.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!