FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By KStap18
Hi everyone. So I've looked up posts about common pests that CPs encounter. But this one in particular, I haven't seen. Attached is a picture of a what looks like the common house fly larva but this one produces a web or silk in the path that it follows and eventually settles in a location wrapping itself loosely around this web/silk. I've noticed that if it goes through the moss or the plants leaves, it essentially dries it up and kills the areas it touches. The whole plant as a whole is fine though.

Just wondered if anyone has these too and how to get rid of them. They appear every once in a while, but the damage done, especially to seedling, is pretty drastic!

Thanks!
ImageImage
By ChefDean
There are quite a few caterpillars and that ilk that release a line of silk/web when they move. To help pin it down, what part of the country are you in?
I know I've received a couple of SASE's from you, but I can't remember where you live.
By KStap18
I'm in San Diego, but I also temper seeing them in my collection when I lived in San Francisco for couple months. Maybe a California bug?
By ChefDean
I can't pin down the exact species, but looks like a type of tent worm. They usually live in packs, so either this one got separated from its family, or be on the lookout for more.
By KStap18
Thanks for your input! Yeah I keep seeing them appear randomly on different days. Do you think Bayer 3-in-1 would control them?
By ChefDean
I think it would, but I would do a light spray once a week for four to six weeks with that. Then, if I saw more, I would either spot treat or manually remove the critter.
If they are feeding in your plant, the 3 in 1 should also help as it gives a systemic protection as well I believe.
Good luck.
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!