FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Rexxie_Leigh
Hi All!

I just acquired these guys the other day from Walmart. I've seen these guys before in their death cubes/cylinders but never this abundant in one pot! Right now I have the top off and was planning on removing them from the cylinder tomorrow. I've already removed the dead leaves/traps to clear space.

I've read so much about these guys on this forum and many of you are beyond knowledgeable on these guys. I'm just curious about removing the cylinder and potentially repotting them. It's mid-July and some threads (on many other forums, including here) have stated to leave them as is while others have said to repot. I really really don't want to stress these guys out or cause any harm.

Thanks for any advice in advance!! :)
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By schmeg
ALWAYS repot into good-quality peat/silica/perlite mix, or long-fiber sphagnum moss.

Those plants will need to get used to their new wonderful home anyway. Give them a proper base to do it in.

Find a >4" tall light-colored plastic pot or cup with drainage holes. Rinse your potting media with distilled or rain water.

I also trim off dead leaves when I get a new plant, but next time if they have any green at all, leave them in place for the plant to fully make use of that tissue.

I don't bother with slowly adjusting humidity as I live in a humid state. "Tough love," as @matt says. However, if you are somewhere dry it may be smart. It is worth gradually introducing your best sunlight. A preferred way is a long exposure to filtered/bright indirect light during the day as opposed to inside light all day then a few hours of hot sun). An outside space with filtered light is better than inside a house, as the plant will still have sunlight bouncing around it instead of house light.

Good luck!
By schmeg
And don't fret if the plant DOES take time to adjust. Just be as nice as you can do it.

And ask all the questions you want on this forum. Someone here will have the answer, or seven. :)
By hungry carnivores
Welcome!

I don't acclimate VFT's as well, and I live in California. I just zap em. They always come back. Plants are crazy.
By Rexxie_Leigh
Ah great! Thanks so much for the tips! I just picked up a plastic pot this evening at the local Home Depot, but obviously no medium. I'll hit up the nurseries nearby to see what I can snag.

As for clearing out the dead leaves/etc...I didn't pluck anything still green because there was nothing like that. But now I know for next time should I see that to just leave it.

I'm anxious to repot these guys now but till I get some good medium, I'm stuck. You'd think Home Depot or Lowes would carry something besides Miracle Grow :/

By Apollyon
Home Depot sells a brand of sand called "Sakrete Pool Filter Sand" the brand is misleading but the sand is pure silica in the size that you're looking for. Large bags though, 50 pounds for like 14 bucks. If this one takes I'm sure you'll end up adding to your collection. It's an addiction lol. They also tend to sell peat moss and perlite as well. HD may only sell the bulk peat moss though, nurseries will tend to sell different sized bags. Just look for something that doesn't have additives to it. It can say "Peat Moss" "Organic Peat Moss" "Sphagnum Peat Moss" it's all the same. Go for whatever is cheapest that fits the bill for what you're looking for.
By Rexxie_Leigh
I went ahead and ordered from the flytrap store. I've only got this lil guy for now.....however I see this becoming an obsession. Thanks for heads up on the HD pool sand!

I just spent a good 20 mins staring at this thing. I am mindblown by it. Some of these traps are soooooo tiny! Caught myself talking to it...oh boy...we know where this is going. Lol. I thought about rescuing another set but I want to make sure I get things down with this lil guy first before I find myself too overwhelmed and ill prepared.

By MikeB
Rexxie_Leigh wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:23 amI'm anxious to repot these guys now but till I get some good medium, I'm stuck. You'd think Home Depot or Lowes would carry something besides Miracle Grow :/
Yeah, Miracle-Gro has pushed most of the other brands off the shelves. Check out Amazon and eBay for peat moss and perlite. These brands do not contain fertilizer:
  • Espoma
  • Hoffman
  • Sun Gro (Black Gold)
  • Vigoro
By Apollyon
Yeah I use Espoma and Vigoro stuff. The peat I bought from a local nursery the first time. My collection has since grown and I have other things I can mix so I went all out with the huge bag so I don't keep buying it lol.

If you give it the right conditions the little guy will bounce back pretty well. May not grow a massive amount this season but it'll be back better than ever come spring next year. I'd have recommended a shady spot initially because that plant has been pretty light starved, doubly so if you're doing a straight repot. Check some videos, post some pics after you're done. People will let you know if you're on the right track or how to correct it if something is wrong. I personally handle all outdoor plants the same when it comes to total repots. I keep it in the shade for a week, let it get over the trauma and settle in. Then I'll put it in partial sun for a week or two, then I put the plant out in the open. Sometimes you can skip the shade but I think your plant would benefit from getting acclimated to the outdoors (winds and temperature) and harden up some. It probably has enough energy to regrow roasted leaves but that's your call. I wouldn't risk it myself in this case. And as they said, bag it if you're in a low humidity area just to mitigate some of the stress.

Sounds like you've done a lot of research so I'm sure your plant is going to thrive and be happy. Let us know how it turns out. I've seen some cool looking VFTs come out of those deathcubes. I've been looking for one when Im around but I haven't seen any at my local stores :/
By Magic Mutt
If you're impatient but still want decent quality for the price lowes sells this...at least at my lowes they do.

I used 2 of those bags to fill this container, there's a thread in media section of forum dedicated to this stuff

Same vfts as yours in there too :)

After using both the pictured moss and FTS premium NZ moss. I can say its only slightly lower quality than fts' moss. Like once u pick out the darker stuff u can't tell the difference. And the bags are 5 bucks each. I will still shell out money for FTS moss but only when I can afford to ;)Image

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!