FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Stealthlock
Huge, healthy pitchers with ancient, disgusting water in them, old flies from months ago. Do I need to change out their water? How often? How do they get fresh water in their traps in the wild?
By Sundeewz
They don’t get fresh water unless it’s Purpurea and the old fluids are flushed out. You will have to wait until the pitcher dies so you can cut it off.
Panman liked this
By Rudy1776
Sundeewz wrote:They don’t get fresh water unless it’s Purpurea and the old fluids are flushed out. You will have to wait until the pitcher dies so you can cut it off.
Good to see this! So when the wind blows my Nep. Miranda or any other Nep, I usually add distilled water to replace the fluid. Should I not be doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Sundeewz
Nothing bad will happen from adding water, it’s just that the plant will naturally refill itself using water from the media and enzymes. So, you do not have to fill it.
By hungry carnivores
Worse, if you fill them, sometimes they can flop over, and break the pitchers off. Especially with large-pitchered plants like Miranda.

Also, sometimes I drain them so they don't slosh all over my furniture and stuff.
By jiacheow
Sometimes if you put fertilizers like osmocote in the pitchers, refilling them with too much water will very easily cause the upper half of the pitcher to be “burnt” as the walls of the non-digestive zones are less resistant to fertilizing. And I noticed that in some species/hybrids like globosa x ampullaria the digestive zone may be no more than one-fifth of the pitcher’s height so the natural fluids will, if you let the pitcher regulate it’s own fluids, be no more than a tiny puddle at the bottom of the pitcher.
All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!