FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Most of my pygmies don't seem to be taking a liking to Tennessee, so I want to try to give them a better chance with someone else.
I have two pots each of D. x Carbarup and D. Dorks Pink to give away. US addresses only, winners pay $5 postage, multiple wins possible, shipped potted in their little shot glass pots.
Some of you know that I'm not just a Chef in name only. I trained in the Pacific Northwest under many great Master Chefs and Master Bakers. I have cooked in various restaurants in many different states, and am now a Private Chef. As such, these questions will be food related, and, in my opinion, pretty easy.
Three questions: The first for a Carbarup, the second for a Dorks, the last one a two-parter for one of each. If one person is quick, they may win all four pots. I'll ask one question at a time to give everyone a better chance.

First question, for a potted D. x Carbarup.

Of the four original Mother Sauces, which one, with slight variations of finishing ingredients, could be in Mornay, Gratin, Biscuits and Gravy, or Mac 'n Cheese?
By ChefDean
uxleumas wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:59 pm is it posible to pay with cash, or is it paypal/online transfers only?
I wouldn't recommend it, but you can send me cash. However, I can't be held responsible if it gets lost in the mail.
By ChefDean
Artemisia wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:03 pm Is it Béchamel sauce?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Correct!
This is my favorite Mother Sauce because I just love southern Biscuits and Gravy, especially with hot sauce drizzled on top.
Don't hate it until you try it.
By Artemisia
ChefDean wrote:
Artemisia wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:03 pm Is it Béchamel sauce?

Correct!
This is my favorite Mother Sauce because I just love southern Biscuits and Gravy, especially with hot sauce drizzled on top.
Don't hate it until you try it.
That's seems interesting. I love all types of sauces.

By ChefDean
Next question, for a pot of D. Dorks Pink.
Almost all flavors are either fat soluble or water soluble, very few are both, and very few are neither. However, there is something that helps bridge that gap to help those soluble flavors blend, mix, mingle, and marry, and also bring out those flavors that would be otherwise lost.
What is that bridge?
By ChefDean
Artemisia wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:57 pm Alcohol?

Correct!
Artemisia is two for two.
Wine is the traditional vehicle for introducing alcohol into cooking, especially in French and Italian cooking. I love a Bordelaise on beef or a Picatta on chicken or fish. But I also cook with beer, bourbon, rum, tequila, vodka, and assorted liqueurs.
By ChefDean
Last question is a two-parter for a pot of x Carbarup and a pot of Dorks. You must answer both questions correctly to win. If you get one part correct, but the other part wrong, I will simply say partially correct without indicating which part is correct.
Up to, and well into the 16th century, Italian cuisine was at the pinnacle of what was the best cooking in the world. Who is credited with bringing French cooking into the ring to challenge, and ultimately surpass, Italian cooking as being considered to be the top tier cuisine in the world? And what did this person do to earn this popular recognition?

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!