FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By vaibhav
Hello Friends,
I got my new Drosera Binata Giant in mail today but here is the problem I ordered it almost a month back and it didn't get shipped due to lockdown and it got finally shipped on 2nd July but got stuck on the way for 3 days due to lockdown :(

So it was in transit for total 10 days and when I recived it, I feel it's almost dead but some life is left init.

I want to revive it and as of right now watered it with water got from RO purifier and now needs help to how to revive without burning it from sun light or under or over watering it.

https://imgur.com/a/axnDBEi

https://imgur.com/a/upPSzO2
By Shadowtski
Did it come potted or did you just pot it up?
If you just potted it up, then I'd bag or dome it and set it in a tray of RO water, and put it outside on the North side side of the house for a couple weeks. (Assuming you are in the Northern Hemisphere.) This will give roots time to get resettled.

If it came already potted, then put it in a tray of water on the North side of your house for a week then gradually move it into a sunnier location.

Just my 02¢ worth.
Apollyon liked this
By Panman
Agreed. Keep it wet but not too soggy. It has a nice crown so it should recover fine. Just be patient with it and treat it carefully.
By Apollyon
I've noticed binata are pretty tough plants. I put mine through some abuse when I first got them and they bounced back with no trouble. I also agree. If it was left in a box for 10 days with no light and max humidity, the slow and easy approach sounds like the best way to go. Gradually introduce the plant to your area's humidity and light. It's in a fragile state but it'll come back with a vengeance lol. If you do bag it though, don't put it in the direct sun or it may cook the little guy.
By vaibhav
Thanks alot everyone
@Shadowtski
I got it already potted like this and I don't have any more media right now so gona keep it like this for some time. As you advised I am gona keep it water tray and in northern part of House. I am from India so northern hemisphere :)

@Panman I am keeping fingers crossed in just few hours I could see that small leaf which is already sprouted from crown to be un curling so have some hopes.

@Apollyon I will do as you advised and try to slowly introduced it to sunlight and humidity so I don't accidently shock it.

Guys can you advise me something I have a spare table lamp and will be a good idea to keep the plant under CFL bulb to give initial risk free lighting and then later move to sunlight?

Thanks
By hungry carnivores
Where in India? India is massive... If you're in a very humid area, I would even put it outside somehow. They do get shocked, mine stopped growing, but is now back with an 8 point leaf.
By DesertLlama
vaibhav wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:17 am Guys can you advise me something I have a spare table lamp and will be a good idea to keep the plant under CFL bulb to give initial risk free lighting and then later move to sunlight?
Keeping the plant under an artificial light source can be helpful depending on the color temperature and lumens. Even indirect sunlight from a window is better than the light you get from most light bulbs though.
By Apollyon
Yeah, unless the bulb is running 6400-6500 kelvin, it wouldn't be doing the plant any favors keeping it under the bulb. If the plant is showing movement and growth already, it's probably good to maintain the conditions that it is in for a bit. I had initially grown some of my binata indoors but it wasn't until I put them out in the sun that they really started to shine. I live in a humid area however. I've also thrown seedlings to the wolves in the sun (Recently planted right out of the box) and they handled it fine. It was an experiment though and I had backups. I wouldn't really advise the tough love approach on a single plant :lol:

If you know the bulb is the right temperature and you want to keep the bulb a few inches away for a time to spark some growth, you could do that but I honestly believe you're on the right track already. Keep the humidity up and keep the plant well watered and you should be fine.
By vaibhav
Thanks alot guys

@hungry carnivorous. I am in Kolkata and average humidity here is 70 to 90 percent, it's raining almost everyday and sunshine is also very strong hence lil hesitant in keeping it out side for timebeing.

@DesertLlama after coming to know the specific kelvin requriment of bulb I think finding right bulb is going to be an issue here but will look around but I am attaching pic link below it seems plant has started recovering.

@Apollyon I will try to look for the bulb with that kind of kelvins but might be hard to find here hence I will do as you say and keep it as it is meanwhile I hope plant survives, fingers crossed.

Latest pic

https://imgur.com/a/hgqD6oi

https://imgur.com/a/5wSB26M
By vaibhav
Hi guys,
I am having high hopes with 2 leaf unrolling from the crown. I am attaching link of updated pic clicked today and I have started introducing plant to sunlight for some times of the day to see how it goes about.

https://ibb.co/mzYCQCb
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!