FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Here's a picture.
7-9-20 forum version.jpg
7-9-20 forum version.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 2844 times
@uxleumas I appreciate the suggestions, but I don't really understand what you're saying. Is there a mesh fine enough to stop fungus gnats? They're really small, and a mesh that fine would probably hinder the seedlings' growth. The sundew offer is nice, but the time it would take to ship, repot, and establish a sundew would be too long.

I think I'll just repot. Will chopped sphagnum moss do? I'd usually use unchopped, but I think the strands would be far too long and hard to work wtih.
By schmeg
Silk organza is a very fine, sheer fabric. On my next batch of VFT seeds I am thinking about making a tall "shower cap" of organza to keep gnats away from my sterilized pot. Will also filter sunlight a bit, which may make direct sunlight more acceptable for the seedlings.

Dharma Trading is a reputable source of white silk organza.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Update. I repotted them. Surprisingly enough, all the remaining seedlings look like they have a good chance of surviving. I guess it's because their around a year old now, but they look exactly like flytraps, but on a smaller scale. Complete with decently sized rhizomes. I assumed most were on the complete verge of death. The repotting was a pain though, imagine all the frustration of potting normal flytraps with sphagnum, only on an action figure sized scale. But I'm glad there's more hope for them.
7-10-20 (5).JPG
7-10-20 (5).JPG (3.76 MiB) Viewed 2802 times
7-10-20 (3).JPG
7-10-20 (3).JPG (3.06 MiB) Viewed 2802 times
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Just an update for those interested. I have good news and bad news.

Bad news is that only two of the seedlings survived the repotting. Good news is that those two are taking off! I think they're on their way to being adults in a couple of years with some feeding. I think the fresh soil really helped them. I also gave them a boost of that lawn fungicide stuff a while back when they were still struggling, so they might be receiving the effects of that.
9-12-20.JPG
9-12-20.JPG (2.58 MiB) Viewed 2609 times
I think from now on, I'll either start flytrap seeds in sphagnum or repot them into it when they start to decline. It seems to have made such a difference.
Matt liked this
By Matt
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:I think from now on, I'll either start flytrap seeds in sphagnum or repot them into it when they start to decline. It seems to have made such a difference.
Yes, flytraps hands-down are healthier and grow more quickly in sphagnum than in peat.

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!