FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Artchic528
I was looking at my seedlings just now and noticed some movement behind the plant tag. I pulled it back and saw a couple of these insects chilling in the shadows made by the tag. By the time I got my phone out only this one insect was there. They look to be a burrowing insect. I want to say they remind me of pill bugs or mole crickets, but I know they aren't either of them. Are they anything to be concerned about?

I also noticed a fair few of what look to be extremely tiny mushrooms growing in my peat. I can't say much else other than maybe I need more light? I know fungi generally like a dark and moist environment. My dog likes to look out the window where my setup is located and when he gets excited over seeing a neighbor walking their dog, or even a squirell giving him a haughty look, he'll sometimes knock the cord for the lamp I'm using right out of it's socket. I'm highly considering just putting the pot outside to forgo this being a reoccurring problem.

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Last edited by Artchic528 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Jaker00
Artchic528 wrote:I was looking at my seedlings just now and noticed some movement behind the plant tag. I pulled it back and saw a couple of these insects chilling in the shadows made by the tag. By the time I got my phone out only this one insect was there. They look to be a burrowing insect. I want to say they remind me of pill bugs or mole crickets, but I know they aren't either of them. Are they anything to be concerned about?

I also noticed a fair few of what look to be extremely tiny mushrooms growing in my peat. I can't say much else other than maybe I need more light? I know fungi generally like a dark and moist environment. My dog likes to look out the window where my setup is located and when he gets excited over seeing a neighbor walking their dog, or even a squirell giving him a haute look, he'll sometimes knock the cord for the lamp I'm using right out of it's socket. I'm highly considering just putting the pot outside to forgo this being a reoccurring problem.ImageImage

The bug looks like some sort of beetle I'm not sure though as for the fungi, if they don't go away with more light, then i would suggest using a fungicide

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By Artchic528
Jaker00 wrote:
Artchic528 wrote:I was looking at my seedlings just now and noticed some movement behind the plant tag. I pulled it back and saw a couple of these insects chilling in the shadows made by the tag. By the time I got my phone out only this one insect was there. They look to be a burrowing insect. I want to say they remind me of pill bugs or mole crickets, but I know they aren't either of them. Are they anything to be concerned about?

I also noticed a fair few of what look to be extremely tiny mushrooms growing in my peat. I can't say much else other than maybe I need more light? I know fungi generally like a dark and moist environment. My dog likes to look out the window where my setup is located and when he gets excited over seeing a neighbor walking their dog, or even a squirell giving him a haute look, he'll sometimes knock the cord for the lamp I'm using right out of it's socket. I'm highly considering just putting the pot outside to forgo this being a reoccurring problem.ImageImage

The bug looks like some sort of beetle I'm not sure though as for the fungi, if they don't go away with more light, then i would suggest using a fungicide

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I did some research, it looks an awful lot like a cockroach nymph, or a close relative of it. Too bad my deliciously dewy death traps aren't already feasting on them. Tricksy bugs!!

By Artchic528
I've got the pot in a sunnier spot but the mushrooms keep on growing! They are three times bigger now! Time for fungicide I guess.

By Artchic528
I've heard that putting a few drops of dish soap into a liter of water and spraying it on the mushrooms gets rid of them. I just worry about it harming my sundews. Will it harm them?

By Benny
Artchic528 wrote:I've heard that putting a few drops of dish soap into a liter of water and spraying it on the mushrooms gets rid of them. I just worry about it harming my sundews. Will it harm them?
Most CPs hate anything other than pure water touching their roots. I am not sure how much rinsing the soil will help rid of the soap. Mushrooms like cool, wet, and dark areas with little airflow. Try watering a little less, increasing airflow (a small fan or an open window), or repotting the seedlings (I don't know how large they are). If you do decide to repot, be sure to sterilize your new soil and get rid of the old. Spores travel very easily.

Not sure what those bugs are, but they shouldn't cause harm to the plants.
By Artchic528
I took a teeny tiny plastic spoon (the kind that come with a sea monkey kit) and scooped out all the mushrooms I could see, putting the mushrooms into a plastic cup and throwing the cup away. I also took the liberty of spacing out my sundews a little more so they weren't as crowded, scooping them out with the same spoon and being very gentle and careful. I think I did a good job.
spaced out sundews.jpg
spaced out sundews.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 2938 times
By ChefDean
Can't help with critter ID, but I occasionally get some mushrooms growing in my pots. I just pull them out as soon as I see them, usually I get them before they drop spores. Then I just keep a little better eye on those pots just in case I wasn't quick enough and they dropped spores.
Repotting carnivorous plants

Looks OK to me. Where did you get you Cobra Lily? […]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!