FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Benny
One of my flytrap caught a hornet a few days ago. Today, I noticed ants huddled in the trap. Upon further inspection, I discovered there to be a hole in the leaf! The ants were stealing the plant's prey! I found this very interesting and well played on the aunt's part. Anyone ever had this issue?
By Greenthumbs Garden
no never, sounds like it would have been great to see it on video! I've had issues with them digging in the soil to get water but thats it.
By Benny
Dr GreenThumb wrote:no never, sounds like it would have been great to see it on video! I've had issues with them digging in the soil to get water but thats it.
I will try to post some pics in later today.
By Greenthumbs Garden
@Benny, You've Jinnx'ed me bro! :lol:

I was just saying I've never had a problem, go out to see my plants and see a massive hole in the side of the trap. either something managed to chew its way out or in.
Any opinions guys?
Benny liked this
By ChefDean
Dr GreenThumb wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:38 pm @Benny, You've Jinnx'ed me bro! :lol:

I was just saying I've never had a problem, go out to see my plants and see a massive hole in the side of the trap. either something managed to chew its way out or in.
Any opinions guys?
It's like the movie "Alien", when they examine the Engineer body in the spacecraft. The edges appear to be pushed out, like something burst out.
Greenthumbs Garden liked this
By Greenthumbs Garden
@ChefDean, :lol: :lol: yes its true!! I once fed them lie crickets and one chewed through but just enough to get his head out then die... that was a creepy sight indeed.... wonder if I have a pic still of that
By hungry carnivores
I had this happen for a filiform sundew. The ants were able to climb on the backside of the leaf, and removed the moth pretty skilfuly. It caught 2 ants though.
Benny liked this
By Benny
Sorry guys, haven't been on in awhile.

@Dr GreenThumb Lol! Sorry I didn't post a poc, but that was exactly what it looked like! The deal the traps had made in mine broke, opening the trap and making it appear strange.
hungry carnivores wrote:I had this happen for a filiform sundew. The ants were able to climb on the backside of the leaf, and removed the moth pretty skilfuly. It caught 2 ants though.
Sacrifices must be made! :lol:

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Not what you would expect...

Is it behind the seedling cup of drosera capensis […]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!