FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Rudy1776
Howdy everyone!

I currently grow all of my CP's outside on my South facing apartment balcony. My plants are doing well, but I am becoming interested in trying my hand at growing some flytraps and other CP's indoors using proper lighting, etc. I really want to try this to have a more controlled environment for seedlings, more sensitive plants and so forth. However, I have no experience with indoor setups and I was wondering if any of you fine individuals might have some ideas I could use! :)

I live in a small apartment but the spot I have planned in my living room would allow for a rack/lights that could be about 2 x 2 ft in width and length and 3-5 ft in height. There is some wiggle room in the dimensions, but anything drastic would not look too nice haha. Does anyone have a similar setup they're willing to share or have any suggestions for this, especially a light? I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!
By FunkeePanda
@Rudy1776,

https://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-trap-light

Up top is a link going in depth on the lighting. Amazon has plenty of 2ft but the 4ft options are cheaper for some reason?...

I'm trying my hand at indoor, and got my rack from Home Depot. I'm sure amazon has racking better suited towards your needs though. My set up looks jimmy rigged, and maybe you're going for a more stylistic look that will fit your apt.. That's why I say Amazon should be able to cover all your needs on that front, and the link that can cover all your lighting needs for your plant can also be reached by clicking "FlytrapCare.com" straight up top. Then click the first link in the lighting section of the article.

Anyway, I'm putting my buddies through hell and back. Hopefully your experience is a lot better than mine. Still enjoying myself though. The payout of success should be great. I apologize if this all looks like word vomit.
By mcgrumpers
Indoor setups tend to be UGLY haha, though I'm sure it's possible to make something that isn't repulsive if you're creative/handy.

I have a wire rack with lights in my living room. It's hideous but incredibly pragmatic. Fortunately, I have a kind wife who tolerates the setup.

What room will your setup be in? W how many plants are you planning on growing in this setup?
By Rudy1776
mcgrumpers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:37 am Indoor setups tend to be UGLY haha, though I'm sure it's possible to make something that isn't repulsive if you're creative/handy.

I have a wire rack with lights in my living room. It's hideous but incredibly pragmatic. Fortunately, I have a kind wife who tolerates the setup.

What room will your setup be in? W how many plants are you planning on growing in this setup?
Haha I live alone so repulsiveness isn’t a huge concern :lol: But I plan on putting it in my living room, beside my TV in place of the printer, at least for now. Here’s a photo below. I’m thinking of getting one of the budget friendly YesCom 225’s to start with and a small rack.
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.1 MiB) Viewed 8163 times
By Propag8
Closet spaces can work great too if your not bothered about having them on display. Benefits are they are out of sight and less light is lost as it reflects back of the inside if you coat with Mylar or something similar. Downsides are you will need to figure out an air exchange system to keep them healthy or very good ventilation and an oscillating fan to keep the air moving to reduce chances of mould growth and to clear out old c02. I'm in the process of building one now in a 1.2m x 1m closet that built into the area above my staircase when it's all done I'll post some pics on the forum.
By evenwind
Just so you've seen 'em, not all indoor solutions have to be ugly. Certainly not cheap but not ugly, either: http://indoorgardensupplies.com/product ... ite-carts/
By mcgrumpers
People on this forum have grown CPs with a yescomm 225. Has anyone used one for a VFT? I wonder if they're bright enough.

Since you don't have many plants and you don't have tall plants, you'd probably be ok without any reflective mylar, which is a major contributor to ugly aesthetics.

Ideally you can find a way to automatically turn the light on and off, preferably varying photoperiod by season. I use a TP-LINK Kasa Smart outlet for this.

Also, have a plan for dormancy. One option is to kick the VFT outside for winter. Another option is the fridge method. A third option is to cross fingers and hope that the variation is photoperiod from season to season induces some sort of dormancy.
By Propag8
I agree that if he's going for the rack Mylar would look terrible unless you happen to like the look of an aliens underwear hanging in your living room. I personally have used 300w cfl 6500k growlight bulbs they are great for growing but way to bulky for a rack set up and not the cheapest lighting to run in comparison to smaller t5 tubes or similar.
By hungry carnivores
I've found that buying some plexiglas (the really thin stuff) and gluing it to a frame, perhaps even a storage rack (for humidity, and mylaring the sides, carefully gluing it on, you can mitigate ugliness. The disadvantage is the time component, you waste a TON of time. I've got me a little fishtank with 4 CFL's and LED tape on the sides. Looks not too bad.
By Apollyon
Idk how into it you want to get but I've had great success with indoor growing with T5HO lights. I tend to use 4-light fixtures and I'll do like 3 at 6400k(photo) and 1 at 3000k(for flowering). Sometimes I'll end up using 2 if the temps rise too high like they're starting to now. Figure some light is better than no light lol. Ive used those bending lights but the coverage kinda sucks. Might make a good supplement though.

I personally use a rack and mounted 3 4ft fixtures with different setups from bonsai to CP, but if you're just wanting a few plants you could make a decent stand to support that with like a 2ft fluorescent. Just an idea.

I can't speak for yescomm but my friend hypes them, his buddies grow Neps indoors with them and seem satisfied. I did have reasonable success with a "full spectrum LED" off amazon, but it's nothing like the T5s were. These days I have them outside. I rotted the crown off one of mine with tray watering and decided to keep them outdoors to get greater evaporation. So water from above or keep the water level pretty low lol. I live in FL so VFT does pretty good
By Rudy1776
Thanks for all the responses everyone! With so many options, it can be rather overwhelming. I ended up buying one of the Yescom 225 lights from Amazon and will probably install it over a rack or metal shelf.
I am particularly curious of anyone reading this who has had success with using these Yescom 225 lights! I plan to grow some Drosera, nepenthes maybe and Flytraps under them.
By Rammplins
Just throwing it out there, but if you are putting the lights next to the TV you might want to think about a 2x2 growtent, covering at least 2 sides with Mylar or some other way to block the light. That's gonna put one hell of a glare on the tv, and staring right at it while trying to watch the tube probably wont be the best either.
Apollyon wrote: but if you're just wanting a few plants
ha, isnt that how all of us with a full grow room started out? once you start 1 rack of lights it will grow to 2...then 4...then your looking at your living room like "well if I turn the couch and move the TV i can fit another rack in here for sure!" lol.
Panman liked this
By Apollyon
Rammplins wrote:
ha, isnt that how all of us with a full grow room started out? once you start 1 rack of lights it will grow to 2...then 4...then your looking at your living room like "well if I turn the couch and move the TV i can fit another rack in here for sure!" lol.
That's the truth. Anyone who buys a rack for this purpose ends up getting 3+ by the time it's over. Now I want one just for props :shock:
By bcavanau
Yescom lights work just fine for pretty much everything so far...

This is one of those 3 ft wire shelves, with 3 Yescom lights across the top...Mylar insulation around the sides (painted the outside black to match the shelf).
overall_photo.jpg
overall_photo.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 4967 times
So far everything seems to be growing fine.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!