FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By FunkeePanda
@tommyr,

Yea it's stupid. I don't have much of a choice with my living situation. The reason I'm doing it is because it brings me a sense of calm I haven't been familiar with in a a while. That being said I personally won't stop, so it's worth the extra work, if I can make it happen. Thank you for the insight.
By FunkeePanda
@Artchic528,

That's unfortunate that i probably won't see my plants potential for a few years until I become a home owner. They're very beautiful and unique. Thank you for your insight.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
@FunkeePanda, I think in certain situations, growing a Venus Flytrap indoors can have upsides. You have more control over the environment, and you can get really intense colors to come out with the right lights. The trick to insure their long term growth is an artificial dormancy. Although It's rarely seen, I doubt it's impossible to grow them with artificial lights indoors for the growing season, and then when winter comes either use the refrigerator method or move them outdoors for dormancy.
Propag8, FunkeePanda liked this
By Propag8
I totally agree with sphagnum. Of course any plant can be grown indoors and somewhat successfully too. Don't be put off by people advising you that they will grow better outdoors even though they are 100% correct in what they are saying I believe you should grow them however you like especially if indoor growing is the only way you can grow (for now). You are trying to mimic nature in every way possible to give your plant what it needs which can be done to some extent but you can never get as good as nature itself even with all the money in the world it may be expensive, time consuming and very difficult with lots of failures but if that's what you enjoy as I do just give it a go. You may build up a nice collection and then put them outdoors when it's possible for you but that is ultimately your choice. Happy growing 😁
FunkeePanda liked this
By Artchic528
hungry carnivores wrote:Provided I feed fertilizer, dormancy is no problem. Flower stalks year round!
Flowering is very exhausting for flytraps. Continuous flowering is surly going to kill them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tommyr liked this
By Propag8
So based on that the simple answer is if you believe they need a dormancy they do and if you believe they don't then they don't cos nobodies changing anyone's mind lol.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Artchic528
Propag8 wrote:So based on that the simple answer is if you believe they need a dormancy they do and if you believe they don't then they don't cos nobodies changing anyone's mind lol.
Not exactly...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

By Propag8
Artchic I'm just messing I know its far more complex than that I'm just stating there is no winners in a debate you might change a few people's views but ultimately everyone walks away believing their own stubborn beliefs.
By Artchic528
Propag8 wrote:Artchic I'm just messing I know its far more complex than that I'm just stating there is no winners in a debate you might change a few people's views but ultimately everyone walks away believing their own stubborn beliefs.
As the French say "C'est la vie" or "Such is life". Seems that's all people are doing these days.
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Artchic blame the internet everyone's an expert on everything nowadays :D
I'm guessing some forum users have probably never grown a plant in there lives. The power of Google. :roll:
By Propag8
I too love high powered lights, whirring fans and ridiculous electric bills but it's fun. A lot of people talk about successful growing but dont define success. We all have different goals with our hobby and for some the joy of self regulated growing conditions even though possibly killing our plant is outweighed by the thrill of trying to perfect it and have it survive. And just to add fuel to the fire yes i do believe plants need a proper dormancy but not necessarily outdoors.
By Artchic528
Propag8 wrote:Artchic blame the internet everyone's an expert on everything nowadays :D
I'm guessing some forum users have probably never grown a plant in there lives. The power of Google. :roll:
Ah Google. The source of many an armchair "expert" and "doctor". Google says it, so it must be true (and by default I'm now the Albert Einstein on the subject).
Propag8, MikeB liked this
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!