FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By LittleGrower
Hello guys, I just bought a 1 year old N. Northiana but I have found that there is so little information about how to care for it on the internet. Hope you guys can give some tips. And what is the best media for N. Northiana anyway? I read that some people use fired clay. Thanks guys.
By SaucerfulOfSecrets
Peter D'Amato of The Savage Garden fame says to use vermiculite, perlite, and sand as a medium. Fired clay sounds interesting. I think that maintaining a steady humidity level might be more important. I have heard this is a difficult species to grow, so good luck and godspeed. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
LittleGrower liked this
By Nepenthes0260
I haven't grown N. northiana myself, but I've received tips from other growers who have. It's a lowland plant, which means it likes it hot and humid, and I've also heard that it does well in an ultramafic mix with very little organic material. My ultramafic mix I use for species such as palawanensis, attenboroughii, and pervillei contains turface and perlite, although I think vermiculite would be a good addition too.
LittleGrower liked this
By LittleGrower
SaucerfulOfSecrets wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:07 am Peter D'Amato of The Savage Garden fame says to use vermiculite, perlite, and sand as a medium. Fired clay sounds interesting. I think that maintaining a steady humidity level might be more important. I have heard this is a difficult species to grow, so good luck and godspeed. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
It's ok bro and thanks for replying my post. Welp, I potted the plant using hydroton (fired clay balls) and just waiting to see how will it grow( and hope I won't kill it). Pic of the little guy/girl:
IMG20200704122842.jpg
IMG20200704122842.jpg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 3895 times
By LittleGrower
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:07 pm I haven't grown N. northiana myself, but I've received tips from other growers who have. It's a lowland plant, which means it likes it hot and humid, and I've also heard that it does well in an ultramafic mix with very little organic material. My ultramafic mix I use for species such as palawanensis, attenboroughii, and pervillei contains turface and perlite, although I think vermiculite would be a good addition too.
Thanks man but I can't find the material for the ultramafic mix you mentioned in your post so I decided to use hydroton and I'm not really worried about my growing conditions since I living in a tropical country. Let see how will my plant grow and I'll post an update with some information about growing conditions if you tend to grow one in the future. Happy growing and here a pic:
IMG20200704122842.jpg
IMG20200704122842.jpg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 3892 times
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By hungry carnivores
Whoa~ I'd be careful with Hydroton. It can seep minerals, and Northiana has a reputation of being a pain to grow. I'd keep it above 80% humidity as well.

It's really picky. I'd grow it in LFS:Perlite:1/2Bark 1/2Vermiculite equal parts. Underneath 80 and with low temperatures will cripple the plant, I believe. I think it's like a lowland rajah, looks the part, too.
By LittleGrower
Some people use burnt earth as media and it worked well for them. Hydroton is like fired clay balls so I don't think this will cause a problem but who knows, let just test and see how will it grow. And I'm living in a tropical country so humidity and temperature is not a problem with me. Wish me luck man and happy growing.
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!