FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By tinymonster1722
Hello I am new to this forum and new to the plant. I need to replant as soon as possible because I didn’t know about the type of soil. The plant I bought didn’t have instructions on soil type. It is currently in potting soil. I’m working to transplant it soon.
I was wondering what was the beat type of pot would work best.
Feel free to email me images of pots please
Bnpack1722@gmail.com.
I’m desperately in need of advice on my plant. It’s name is snappy.
By evenwind
Welcome to the Forums! You didn't say but I'm assuming the "plant" is a Venus Flytrap? If so, most of your questions should be answered in this thread: beginners-before-posting-your-question- ... 11581.html (the two links at the top will refer to soil types.)
Good luck!
ChefDean liked this
By ChefDean
First, welcome to the forum.
Second, by the name Snappy, I'm assuming you have a Venus Flytrap. You can plant them in a variety of media, but, as they get older, they seem to do better in long fiber sphagnum moss (at least my VFT's do). The higher quality the better. If you have it in potting soil now, I would strongly recommend you get it repotted soon. Rinse off the roots with distilled water after unpotting it to remove the potting soil.
You can mix the moss with some perlite if you'd like, but not necessary.
A pic of Snappy would be helpful.
As to a pot, plastic or glazed pottery is pretty popular and safe for the plant, at least 6 inches deep. 8 to 10 inches would be ideal as they seem to like to stretch their legs. Some people even go buy deep styrofoam cups to use as pots. White reflects the heat a bit, and the styrofoam insulates the roots to keep them a little cooler. Stay away from terra cotta and other unglazed pottery type pots. They can leach minerals into the soil and water, harming your plant.
Good luck, and welcome.

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!