FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
I clipped a bunch of flytrap flower stalks in late spring and stuck them in sphagnum moss. Over half of them turn black all the way to the base. However, a few of them got the right idea:
Flower stalk sprouts.jpg
Flower stalk sprouts.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 2652 times
I was expecting one or two sprouts per stalk, but these went crazy! Some of them have 10-15 buds. It'll be a while before they develop roots so I can separate them.
schmeg liked this
By schmeg
About how long did it take to see plant development?

And are any of those stalks from unusual flytraps (and likely to keep those traits)?
By MikeB
schmeg wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:37 pmAbout how long did it take to see plant development?
It was about 6-8 weeks. The top half of the stalks turned black, but the bottom half stayed green. They sat like this for a while, and then I noticed small bumps on the stalks near the soil level.
schmeg wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:37 pmAnd are any of those stalks from unusual flytraps (and likely to keep those traits)?
This is vegetative propagation (effectively cloning), so the new plants will have the same traits as their parents. I honestly don't remember which plants these came from. Over 2/3 of my flower stalks died, and I'm just glad that some of them struck.
schmeg liked this
Not what you would expect...

But, of course. It’s always good to have one[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Ah, an Xtreem "purpurea". My favorite nu[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!