FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Zach Ledy
Hello everyone! It seems that the flies around our house love the Venus fly trap. :roll: Most of the traps are digesting insects and it seems to always be catching things. Is it possible that my fly trap could get overfed outside? Or should I stop worrying and let nature do it's thing. :lol:

My fly trap is outside on the back patio table. It gets 10-12 hours of full sun there.
20200702_112253.jpg
20200702_112253.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 3012 times
By ChefDean
Let nature happen, it can't overfeed itself. A VFT will only have a max of seven leaves. If every trap is consistently catching bugs, it will prompt it to divide to keep up with supply.
My typicals are outside, side by side. One has every trap closed almost all the time, the other about half the time. I guess we know which way the bugs come in.
About 3 weeks ago I noticed many little traps growing along side the full plant. Upon closer inspection, it looks like it may have five or six divisions going up to catch more bugs.
Let it eat.
By Zach Ledy
It's nice to see you again Sanguinearocks101 and ChefDean! I figured that the flytrap was fine, since it was catching it's own food. Though, sometimes I'm a little overprotective of my flytraps. :lol:
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
A venus flytrap can only be harmed by feeding if it is already unhealthy. Say it's not getting enough sunlight, it will attempt to put energy it barely has into digesting too many meals. A healthy flytrap can and probably will eat any amount of insects naturally with little to no harm.
By ChefDean
Zach Ledy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:47 pm It's nice to see you again Sanguinearocks101 and ChefDean! I figured that the flytrap was fine, since it was catching it's own food. Though, sometimes I'm a little overprotective of my flytraps. :lol:
We all are little brother, we all are.
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!