FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By crazy_carnivores
I just want to confirm that to grow utricularia gibba, you need a blend of peat moss, sand and leave debris at the bottom of the pot right? also, do I need to add bugs to the water? I received an outright massive clump from a trade so I have way to many and too little space. is there anything else that I should know about growing these things? for example could they grow in distilled water? or how do I take care of algae

**if you answer you will automatically be put into a giveaway. one winner will be chosen at random. the winner will receive a generous sized clump (the size of my hand) but they need to be willing to pay for shipping. since I have no idea how much the shipping costs, im just going to go with 8$

if you just want to answer and don't want to participate in the giveaway please say so in your post.

Thanks and stay safe!
By Hurtrus
For best results fill the bottom of your container with gravel and put some dirt bits as a base. If you have access to a pond or small stream some of the gunky mud (just a little bit on the bottom). other natural debris will help with the muck in the water and add a little ascetics to the container. Then fill it up with some distilled water. Wait a few days and then add the utriculara.

Summarized from the Carnivorous Plant Conservatory discord group in the "Bogbiters-tutorials" Frosty is the username who wrote it and the credit for the information is all his... not sure how to properly credit when the info in on a discord channel.
Supercazzola liked this
By Lyra
According to Carnivorous Plant Nursery, Utricularia gibba needs partial sun to sun, and warm bog water and needs peaty substrate to flower. You can grow them with your water lily's and frogbit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By Ben Goudge
I've never grown aquatic Utricularia before, but know a thing or two about them. That information sounds right, and I would grow them in RO, distilled, or rain water. As for algae, I would probably remove it with a brush. Another option would be (only if keeping in a glass aquarium of at least ten gallons) Otocinclus catfish. Keep an aquarium heater and aquarium filter in the tank. Also, the catfish are FAR too large for the plant to eat. :lol:
By Panman
I'm growing inflata and it is doing the best in the tray I sit some flava in. It stays about 4 inches deep and has all kind of gunk on the bottom. I didn't like that the gunk was fouling up the leaves so I moved a bit to its own pail with clean water. Presently, it is an albino inflata and not doing well. I rescued it and moved it to another one of my pot trays.

Oto cats would be nice but they are pretty persnicity about their water conditions. You may try circulating the water to keep the algae from growing.
By Panman
I'm trying to PM you but it is not sending. I will keep trying or b you can message me. You can look at your old messages because we did a Drosera trade.
By crys331
Just replying to your question about how to grow Utricularia gibba. Honestly I just let it float and forget about it. Now the clump I have is a huge mat that floats with my other water plants in a stock tank.
Attachments:
20200611_160034.jpg
20200611_160034.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 10053 times
By jiacheow
I’ve large mats of u.gibba floating in a container pond filled with guppies. I actually got a small clump of them from a seller who mislabeled them as aquatic moss, they have since multiplied several times in mass despite being grown in a VERY shady location. (But they don’t flower, probably need more light for that.) My guppies love them, the females use them to hide from harassing males and fish fry use them to hide from adults.
By jiacheow
P.s. I already have more than enough of them so not interested in more. They can grow into huge mats from just a tiny fragment and can be impossible to eradicate, that’s why aquascapers hate them with a passion and consider them worse than duckweed. Heck, they are a lot easier to grow than duckweed in my case, I’ve had duckweed dying en masse in the same fish pond due to lack of sunlight while the u.gibba mats continued to rapidly multiply in size.
Supercazzola liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!