FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundeewz
I'm considering trying my hand at a P. primuliflora but have not grown butterworts before. How wet does their media have to be? And how humid does it have to be as well? The humidity in my area averages 60% outside.
By hungry carnivores
Sounds perfect actually. Just keep the media wet. I could help you out with a few pups if you want.
By Sundeewz
Sure, I’ll have a couple. How much will it be?
By twitcher
Probably the easiest of the North American warm temperates. I grow mine in lfsm using the tray method, keeping the pots in about 1/2" of water. I also top water during the warm months, but stop that during the winter months. Bright light will see them coloring up with purple veins in the leaves. A good first choice for starting with pings, especially if you are not going to do the mexican ones.
By Sundeewz
jeff wrote:see here http://www.pinguicula.org/A_world_of_Pi ... iflora.htm
Thank you, that article was helpful. Wish that I could actually find them in a gardening store like it suggests.
twitcher wrote:Probably the easiest of the North American warm temperates. I grow mine in lfsm using the tray method, keeping the pots in about 1/2" of water. I also top water during the warm months, but stop that during the winter months. Bright light will see them coloring up with purple veins in the leaves. A good first choice for starting with pings, especially if you are not going to do the mexican ones.
I've been reading some care guides on mexican pinguiculas and I'm also considering buying some to put in the less sunny areas of my garden.
By ChefDean
Plus, if you're interested, there is one pack of P. Lusitanica in the seed bank that isn't spoken for. These are fresh seeds, harvested in May, and some are reporting germination in a week.
You haven't requested seeds for June, so you could get in on that. Also, it's close enough, so you could request for June, wait to send your SASE for a few days, request for July, and get two packs of seeds sent back.
Just a thought.
By Sundeewz
Thanks for the suggestion Dean, but I'm lazy with germinating seeds (and not very good at it for some reason). I think you should be saving those seeds for someone else.
By jeff
attention P.lusitanica is an annual species sometimes bi or tri annual depending on their growing conditions,like the subtropical species US P.pumila.

for a first test outside in your garden I recommend hybrids of the genus x'Weser 'or X' Tina 'or X' sethos' her that can easily be found in garden centers

also note that in california 'in situ' there is a kind of ping , P.macroceras , who make a hibernaculae in winter and can therefore stay outside all year round
By hungry carnivores
Pinguicula Lutea may be a good one.. It's small and interesting.
By Sundeewz
jeff wrote:attention P.lusitanica is an annual species sometimes bi or tri annual depending on their growing conditions,like the subtropical species US P.pumila.

for a first test outside in your garden I recommend hybrids of the genus x'Weser 'or X' Tina 'or X' sethos' her that can easily be found in garden centers

also note that in california 'in situ' there is a kind of ping , P.macroceras , who make a hibernaculae in winter and can therefore stay outside all year round
If only I could actually find butterworts in garden centers, I've only seen a dead P. primuliflora before at a Lowe's and that was it.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!