FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
Carolina Beach State Park is on the right after you pass over the bridge for Snow's Cut.
By Rhaag1970
Panman wrote:If you get there, also check out the Green Swamp Preserve in Supply, NC. There is a trail there that you can find flytraps on. There is also a CP trail at Carolina Beach.
Awesome! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Rhaag1970
MikeB wrote:Carolina Beach State Park is on the right after you pass over the bridge for Snow's Cut.
Will look into going there! Thank you!

By sanguinearocks101
Copper2 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:41 am Flytraps growth point terminates after flowering
Please don’t start this again. Even though I agree that it terminates and is replaced by a new one I’m in no mood to start debating again. I don’t see how this relates to the current discussion.
MikeB, Benny liked this
By Artchic528
Copper2 wrote:Flytraps growth point terminates after flowering
Dude, you've been told numerous times to stop. It's getting very annoying at this point, like a broken record. For the love of all that is green and carniverous, KNOCK IT THE FRICK OFF!!! Image

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

By Rhaag1970
hackerberry wrote:Chill guys, he's been warned.
I have no idea what is going on?? Lol Image im new!! Image

By sanguinearocks101
Rhaag1970 wrote:

long story short a guy said that vfts die after flowering and a division replaces the growth point, it is often very close to the previous growth point so it seems nothing happened and posted a scientific study that said so. A bunch of other people said “Hey it doesn’t do that because I’ve never seen it do that and I don’t believe you and that study is wrong because it’s old” after a long debate it finally died down. Everybody is pretty tired of debating it(except for Copper2 it seems) and most of us have accepted that we believe what we believe and you can’t change someone’s opinion if they don’t want it changed.
By Rhaag1970
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
Rhaag1970 wrote:

long story short a guy said that vfts die after flowering and a division replaces the growth point, it is often very close to the previous growth point so it seems nothing happened and posted a scientific study that said so. A bunch of other people said “Hey it doesn’t do that because I’ve never seen it do that and I don’t believe you and that study is wrong because it’s old” after a long debate it finally died down. Everybody is pretty tired of debating it(except for Copper2 it seems) and most of us have accepted that we believe what we believe and you can’t change someone’s opinion if they don’t want it changed.
Okay I understand now! Well I always cut the stalks off and never flower because I’m not wanting to cross or have seeds. Plus I grow indoors. The ones I do have outdoors now I will let flower next season. Thank you Image

By FunkeePanda
tommyr wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:25 pm
Matt wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:16 pm I've actually stopped helping those who insist on growing them indoors because I got tired of arguing with them. I just tell them good luck and move on. "You can lead a horse to water......."

Edited for spelling.
----------------------------------

Is it because it's impossible to grow indoors or because people who grow indoors usually attempt no dormancy?
By FunkeePanda
@Artchic528,
The plants might grow, but they won't last very long when grown strictly indoors. They'll soon exhaust themselves regardless.

exhaustion from what?
By Artchic528
FunkeePanda wrote:@Artchic528,
The plants might grow, but they won't last very long when grown strictly indoors. They'll soon exhaust themselves regardless.

exhaustion from what?
Flytraps aren't house plants. They need direct sunlight and the changing of seasons to thrive.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

FunkeePanda liked this
By tommyr
FunkeePanda wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:58 pm
tommyr wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:25 pm
Matt wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:16 pm I've actually stopped helping those who insist on growing them indoors because I got tired of arguing with them. I just tell them good luck and move on. "You can lead a horse to water......."

Edited for spelling.
----------------------------------

Is it because it's impossible to grow indoors or because people who grow indoors usually attempt no dormancy?
There are people who do grow them indoors with some success but it's more work, more costly (in lights and electricity) and IMHO they don't grow as well. I'm sure the folks that have some success put them in dormancy somehow, including the proper temperature. I don't get those who want to grow them inside. Makes me wonder if people who grow Bonsai try growing temperate trees indoors. Seems stupid to me.
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!