FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundeewz
I’m deciding on whether or not to purchase a Cephalotus (everywhere’s out of stock right now) and would like to know how quickly they grow. Do they put out new leaves/pitchers at the same speed as an oreophila? Or as slowly as a purpurea? Or perhaps even faster than the former, or slower than the latter?
By Matt
Cephalotus are moderately slow growing. I would say they're slower growing than all Sarracenia I've grown, though I am not as experienced with Cephalotus and Sarracenia as some others here on the forum might be.
Sundeewz liked this
By Sundeewz
I hope that Maxsea will make it get a move on then. Thanks for the answer, Matt.
By Sundeewz
Does Cephalotus happen to be more sensitive to Maxsea than other cps? Also, that grow guide is great! I should help add some articles when I have time. Thank you.
By hungry carnivores
Thanks!

In my conditions, it's even more sensitive than helis/tuberous utrics. I've burned mine at 1/32 dose.
By Sundeewz
I guess I will have to tread more carefully then, I use a dilution of a teaspoon per gallon.
By Sundeewz
Did you purchase your Cephalotus as a mature specimen? The single pitcher in the above picture seems to be an adult one.
By hungry carnivores
He most definiitely did :lol: . I had a nursery send me an immature one with large pitchers as a mature, so they definitely wouldn't downgrade the size.
By Kurblius
It isn't just the dosage of maxsea that makes me wary of using it - Cephalotus don't like it's leaves/traps to get wet. I discovered that if it's not in perfect health with all it's light requirements satisfied splashing water on them will kill the pitchers. They turn from green to yellow to black over the course of 4-5 days. On the other hand, if it's happy, it's more likely to tolerate it.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!