FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Rhaag1970
Propag8 wrote:That would be an interesting experiment you should post your results on here :D
Yes I will try! I’m so new to forums and so confusing! Lol but will try! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Bob Beer
I have heard accounts of people in tropical climates who grow Sarracenias until they just stop growing. Then they stick them into the fridge for a few months and bring them out again. Since the seasonal changes are not as extreme either in terms of temps or daylength there (and humidity/water is in your own hands) it seems that possibly the limit for continuous growth until the plant needs dormancy is longer than what they actually get in habitat. It would be interesting to see how this plays out in actual growth since different species have varying growth patterns. For example, how does S. leucophylla, which usually produces a spring and later summer-fall flush, behave in the absence of clearly defined seasons and daylength triggers? Gonna have to write to some of my tropical grower friends!

By Rhaag1970
Bob Beer wrote:I have beard accounts if people in tropical climates who grow Sarracenias until they just stop growing. Then they stick them into the fridge for a few months and being them out again. Since the seasonal changes are not as extreme either in terms of temps or daylength there (and humidity/water is in your own hands) it seems that possibly the limit for continuous growth until the plant needs dormancy is longer than what they actually get in habitat. It would be interesting to see how this plays out in actual growth, since different species have varying growth patterns. For example, how does S. leucophylla, which usually produces a spring and later summer-fall flush, behave in the absence of clearly defined seasons and daylength triggers? Gonna have to write to some of my tropical grower friends!

Yes very interesting! In the case of my D.m cultivars I will see if setting my grow lights to mimic the photo period will do a dormancy or not. I will find out in a year or 2 if they are healthy or not.

Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
It seems to me going by what the more experienced growers are saying that to push a plant through dormancy is possible but will eventually kill the original plant usually a year or so later so it might work. Like everyone said it's not an exact science for instance I may survive without sleep for so long and you on the other hand may not even if we're identical twins. It can't really ever be proven 100%
By Rhaag1970
Propag8 wrote:It seems to me going by what the more experienced growers are saying that to push a plant through dormancy is possible but will eventually kill the original plant usually a year or so later so it might work. Like everyone said it's not an exact science for instance I may survive without sleep for so long and you on the other hand may not even if we're identical twins. It can't really ever be proven 100%
Agree! I just have to see what happens and keep them as healthy as possible. I will also adjust my lighting with maybe just 8 hrs on during the fall and winter here. Image

Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Exactly just give it a try. To be honest until I read this post I thought temperature was the main factor in dormancy but going by what Matt and others say it's not I think you will trigger some sort of dormancy with what you are doing good luck.
By Rhaag1970
Propag8 wrote:Exactly just give it a try. To be honest until I read this post I thought temperature was the main factor in dormancy but going by what Matt and others say it's not I think you will trigger some sort of dormancy with what you are doing good luck.
Yes because even in their natural environment the Carolina’s also experience very mild winters also and the traps don’t usually die back all the way. I think Image Dionaea muscipula are more hardy then we think! And they adapt pretty good as what I have noticed when I repot them. Sometimes some cultivars adapt slowly and others adapt quickly. Just like some produce plenty of offsets and others don’t. Thank you Image

Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
I couldnt comment on dioneas natural habitat as other than location i know very little about it but i agree that they can be quite hardy if you dont break the very basics like giving them the wrong water etc. Only time will tell which is why im eagerly awaiting your results :D it's going to be a while but keep at it and try to document what you can to share on the forum and don't worry about being new to forums me too everybody is here to encourage and support this awesome hobby. :)
By MikeB
Rhaag1970 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:57 amYes because even in their natural environment the Carolina’s also experience very mild winters also and the traps don’t usually die back all the way. I think
You are correct. I live just 40 miles / 65 kilometers west of the Venus flytrap's native range. Winters here are cool, with average temperatures ranging from 35-50 F / 2-10 C. Sleet and snow are infrequent and usually melt the next day. My flytraps hold on to their leaves unless they get hit repeatedly by severe frosts (very rare). If you want to see what weather conditions are like in the flytrap's range, take a look at the forecast for Wilmington, North Carolina.
Propag8 liked this
By Rhaag1970
MikeB wrote:
Rhaag1970 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:57 amYes because even in their natural environment the Carolina’s also experience very mild winters also and the traps don’t usually die back all the way. I think
You are correct. I live just 40 miles / 65 kilometers west of the Venus flytrap's native range. Winters here are cool, with average temperatures ranging from 35-50 F / 2-10 C. Sleet and snow are infrequent and usually melt the next day. My flytraps hold on to their leaves unless they get hit repeatedly by severe frosts (very rare). If you want to see what weather conditions are like in the flytrap's range, take a look at the forecast for Wilmington, North Carolina.
Thank you for the information! Yes I actually do watch the forecast in that area during the Fall/ Winter and seems to be mild more then very cold or freezing. My ‘dream’ is to actually finally take a road trip and visit the area to see them in their natural environment! I’m sure you have seen them? It’s interesting to see the area and how they are growing because of the photos I’ve seen online some grow in the most sandy areas,grassy area and pure sphagnum moss. Dionaea muscipula is truly an amazing plant! I believe it’s actually pretty adaptable especially because I grow indoors under grow lights. I have for just over a year now and did provide a dormancy by placing them in the sun room (Lanai) to experience the photo period and somewhat cooler temperatures that we get here in Central Florida.
They did slow in growth with ground hugging leaves and some did turn black, but no die off. I did notice also the traps closed slowly too so they were experiencing dormancy in Zone 9b.

By Artchic528
I also live in NC. Charlotte to be exact. It's about a 90 minute drive to the nearest place where flytraps grow naturally (give or take). Our winters here rarely dip below the teens and like Mike said, when it does snow, which happens only once or twice each winter, if that, the snow is usually gone by the next night. I just keep my flytraps growing outside year round and haven't had any problems thus far, other than what I've done out of not knowing any better. Flytraps are pretty hardy and can tolerate a light freeze from time to time. Just not a deep freeze that causes the ground to go solid as granite.
By MikeB
Rhaag1970 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:09 amMy ‘dream’ is to actually finally take a road trip and visit the area to see them in their natural environment! I’m sure you have seen them?
Yes, I have seen flytraps in the wild. Due to habit loss and poaching, they are much harder to find now than they used to be. If you ever make it to Wilmington, be sure to visit the Stanley Rehder Carnivorous Plant Garden. It is truly a sight to behold!
By Rhaag1970
MikeB wrote:
Rhaag1970 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:09 amMy ‘dream’ is to actually finally take a road trip and visit the area to see them in their natural environment! I’m sure you have seen them?
Yes, I have seen flytraps in the wild. Due to habit loss and poaching, they are much harder to find now than they used to be. If you ever make it to Wilmington, be sure to visit the Stanley Rehder Carnivorous Plant Garden. It is truly a sight to behold!
Yes I want to visit that place! I already have GPS it! About 10 hr drive ! Will plan on it!

By Panman
If you get there, also check out the Green Swamp Preserve in Supply, NC. There is a trail there that you can find flytraps on. There is also a CP trail at Carolina Beach.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!