FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Artchic528
Copper2 wrote:Personal experience or personal opinion?
What does it matter? I don't know why you won't just simply move on from this discussion.
By Benny
Copper2 wrote:Personal experience or personal opinion?
It is a fact that the plant must grow faster than, or the same speed as its rate of dying. We all know this. If the plant is not fed regularly, the plant will become exhausted and not divide fast enough.

Bugs rarely go indoors. Therefore, plants grown indoors and not fiddled with (no feeding) will die! If you then feed them, you are giving them extra attention (kind of what you would consider refrigerator dormancy). The argument that it is easier to not put your plant in dormancy is false because you would have to feed your plant quite frequently whereas if grown outdoors, you only have to water it. Dormancy would come naturally.
By hungry carnivores
I have had success with a single osmocote pellet per sarracenia pot. The reason why I say this is I keep my sarrs in a tray. I put my VFTs in the same tray. The runoff is enough to the point where I can skip dormancy and it flowers like mad. I've heard ppl put Regia in the Sarr tray as well. I'd be careful with dews and pings though.
By sanguinearocks101
hungry carnivores wrote:I have had success with a single osmocote pellet per sarracenia pot. The reason why I say this is I keep my sarrs in a tray. I put my VFTs in the same tray. The runoff is enough to the point where I can skip dormancy and it flowers like mad. I've heard ppl put Regia in the Sarr tray as well. I'd be careful with dews and pings though.
Vfts use seasonal clues to know when to flower so it is obviously getting at least a light dormancy I would think unless it flowered year round. Is it in the Sarracenia tray year round or in every season except winter, or do you skip dormancy for the Sarracenia too?
By Benny
Copper2 wrote:Yeah obviously. First you say VFTs need a real dormancy but now it’s fine if they have a “light” dormancy
A light dormancy will only delay they decay (wow). It think it was Matt who said that you can trick seedlings by repotting them. This is similar.
By Matt
Benny wrote:I think it was Matt who said that you can trick seedlings by repotting them.
I have probably said that before, but I was most likely repeating what I had read on Barry Rice's Sarracenia.com website years ago. I do believe it is true that you can trick baby flytraps to keep growing with a repot, but it doesn't enable them to skip dormancy without stalling out at some point.

Depending on the definition of "light," a light dormancy is typically adequate to allow flytraps to grow well the following year. But a light dormancy to me means that they experience some degree of ambient sunlight through the winter months and are kept at very moderate temperatures (never freezing or frosting -- high temps are largely irrelevant) for at least 6 weeks.
MikeB, Benny liked this
By hungry carnivores
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:30 pm
hungry carnivores wrote:I have had success with a single osmocote pellet per sarracenia pot. The reason why I say this is I keep my sarrs in a tray. I put my VFTs in the same tray. The runoff is enough to the point where I can skip dormancy and it flowers like mad. I've heard ppl put Regia in the Sarr tray as well. I'd be careful with dews and pings though.
Vfts use seasonal clues to know when to flower so it is obviously getting at least a light dormancy I would think unless it flowered year round. Is it in the Sarracenia tray year round or in every season except winter, or do you skip dormancy for the Sarracenia too?

One of my sarr specimens hasn't got dormancy for 5 years, it's my oldest plant. I have a ton of seedlings in that tray, and I plan to skip dormancy on them until year 3. And yes, it flowers year round, 1 stalk after the next. I trim most of them.
By Bob Beer
One of my sarr specimens hasn't got dormancy for 5 years, it's my oldest plant. I have a ton of seedlings in that tray, and I plan to skip dormancy on them until year 3. And yes, it flowers year round, 1 stalk after the next. I trim most of them.
Which Sarracenia? I saw a rosea that had been growing indoors for years and looked amazing. But it’s a very southern form so perhaps it’s less dependent on a dormancy. I could imagine that one might be able to select for that trait in hybrids too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Greenthumbs Garden
here in South Spain our winters are very mild, the plants go dorment and grow short leafs that hug the grownd but the die back is not so severe, i still get a slow but steady bit of growth from my plants.
great read by the way
By Rhaag1970
Well I grow all my cultivars indoors under LED lighting and have no other choice because I live in a Condo.

I will adjust my lighting with the seasons because I live in Florida Zone 9b and will try the photo period way. I usually also leave my windows open i our winter (which can get cool) so the temperature will go down a bit. I may also put some out in the Lanai where it will get natural photo period and a little cooler too to induce dormancy.

I have tried that with a few off my VFTS and they did go dormant by having shorter leaves and traps shutting slower. They are now indoors under my LED lights and are growing great and starting to produce their summer traps.

So far so good! But it’s just been a little over a year now that I got my flytraps and growing this way. Like I said I have no other choice then indoor culture and this will be an interesting experiment! Since I spent lot’s of money LOL!!

By Propag8
So what would happen if you skipped dormancy say every other year would the plant recover from the initial skipped dormancy the following year and in theory then have gained extra time for growth by the extra photosynthesis in the first year or not. I gather and believe the plant needs dormancy just a thought that popped into my head that with my little knowledge I can't see why it wouldn't be advantageous.(thinking more in an indoor artificial environment)
Last edited by Propag8 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rhaag1970
I was thinking about every other year for half my collection because I have so many. I might put half outside one season and the other half the next season. Doesn’t hurt to try because I have no room outside to actually grow them. But I can put some in the sun room that is controlled by the seasonal lights.

Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
That would be an interesting experiment you should post your results on here :D
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!