FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By optimus prime
Hi all! i am new to the forum and fairly new to growing carnivorous plants. last year i grew some vft but, they died because i thought they could survive an all night frost( i wasnt very experianced). i recently just bought a sundew filfimoris tracyi. i place in the soil i ordered and relized it suck. is was spaghnum peat moss so the water just pooled on top of the soil. so i ordered some good soil on amazon. it will be here this friday but know i have a sundew out of soil i have wrapped it in paper towel soak in distilled water and i mist it when it looks dry.( the paper towel not the plant). but it isnt looking so hot what can i do to keep it alive until the soil arrives should i leaf it in a saucer of water? please respond asap i do not want this plant to die i spent 20 bucks on it!.
By Shadowtski
When peatmoss is dry it will not easily accept water.
Put the peatmoss in a ziploc bag.
Put some water in the ziploc bag.
Squeeze it like you're kneading bread.
Pretty soon, it will absorb the water.
Knead it a few more times and it will be ready to use.
Adriana liked this
By optimus prime
ok thank you so much! can i plant in the peat moss until i get the other soil and then transplant it? or will it thrive in just plain spahgnum peat moss
By sanguinearocks101
optimus prime wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:01 am ok thank you so much! can i plant in the peat moss until i get the other soil and then transplant it? or will it thrive in just plain spahgnum peat moss
You could do either I would recommend repotting it when you get the new soil.
By optimus prime
ok will do, thank you all so much i really appreciate it. the mix is and pertile which drosera filfimoris thrives in. i learned about that in The savage garden. is this plant big enough to catch house flies?
By sanguinearocks101
It is definitely big enough to catch house flies, but I think that it is even better at catching gnats. I just put my filiformis “Florida Red” outside a few days ago and there must be at least 15 gnats on it. Let me know if yours flowers, I’d be more than happy to give you some of the pollen from my plant if it has a flower on it so you can make some Drosera x californica(probably spelled wrong)
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!