FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
A while back, I planted a large number of capensis "Mini Red" seeds (on 2/15/18). I'm kinda confused with the results. There are two pics below. All the seedlings were from the same batch. First, there's the big red one - it was that oddball seeding that outgrew everyone else and I potted separately on 6/26/19. It's certainly red, but I wouldn't call it "mini". The rest of the seedlings have been repotted over the last couple of months. The second pic is the latest batch - they're just starting the recovery process - but otherwise they're pretty representative of the rest of the seedlings. They're certainly "mini" but a certain amount of that has to be from the overcrowding in the community pot. They're also not particularly "red". However, the only pic I can find of "mini red" online, shows plants that look just like them. Does anyone have experience with this variety? I'd really like to hear from someone who knows what is going on.

BTW, I have a lot of the normal colored seedlings. If it weren't for covid, I'd been giving them away before now. As it is, I'm hoping to do giveaways as soon as I'm comfortable with the idea of leaving my lockdown and venturing to the not-so-clean Post Office.
Attachments:
P6210827a.JPG
P6210827a.JPG (134.28 KiB) Viewed 6839 times
P6210823a.JPG
P6210823a.JPG (134.96 KiB) Viewed 6839 times
By evenwind
I'm actually wondering less about the single big red oddball then I am about the fairly consistent small ones with "normal" coloration. Like, are they likely to turn red as they mature? And will they stay "mini"? I know, I know, time will tell, but I was hoping for a preview.
By evenwind
I guess it's possible. They're growing in the same bright artificial light as the big red one and a couple of bright red Tamlin's Red. I'm wondering what color they'll be when I can finally start doing giveaways. Other than that, it's just curiosity.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By evenwind
Still small (but no smaller than other types of the same age) and still normal coloration.
Attachments:
P8081089ax.JPG
P8081089ax.JPG (99.35 KiB) Viewed 6186 times
P8081091a.JPG
P8081091a.JPG (115.92 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
Adriana liked this
By ChefDean
Unsolicited plug:
Evenwind sent me a Mini Red to test out shipping plants, and here is my unsolicited, unbiased, unhinged, underground, overrated, overzealous, and honest opinion on how it went.

Alrighty.
Miss Red has arrived, and a day earlier than first estimated to boot. Strange for the USPS, but I have noticed that items going east to west move quicker than west to east.
The box was slightly smashed on one side, but that's due to the poor handling en route.
The plant was packed very well. Securely rolled in a ziploc and taped to stay rolled is a great way to keep it from bouncing around the bag. The newspaper to keep the bag stable, but not too much to compress the plant. The plant is in great shape after traveling through NY, NJ, and TN.
I really like the healthy slug of moss around the roots. A slug that was intact due to the aforementioned wrapping and taping. There will still be shock from shipping, but the plant will likely recover in a couple of weeks instead of a couple of months. The addition of a pot was unexpected (another "un" word), but greatly appreciated.
This plant is going to look great next to my typical and Albino Capes.
Thank you.

If the opportunity to trade with evenwind comes your way, rest assured that the plant will be packed and shipped with great care.
evenwind liked this
By evenwind
Thanks, Dean! As I get my act in gear , I'm planning some "mini red" giveaways. As I said at the top of this thread, I wasn't at all sure of the coloration but I've recently found a second pic that shows similar plants. So both pics and my reality all match. Which is encouraging.
Panman liked this
By Panman
Glad to hear it. I've been recycling some heavy duty cardboard rolls that our essential oils come in. I put the roots in a plug, then paper towel, then ziplock. The whole kaboodle is then passed down through the tube until the leaves are not sticking out but the root is partially inside. Some packing tape and a bubble wrap envelope and it's off to the races. They have worked pretty well so far.
By evenwind
If you mean me, for now, I'm waiting for a bunch of small mini reds to grow up a bit.
By TrapHappy
Ok, cool! Let me know when they grow up, I would love to get one, they seem to be a very interesting clone of capensis :)

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!