FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Aquilana
Greetings,
My friend ordered small venus flytraps for me (1-2cm) and they arrived today after 3 days in transition, but the problem is that I cannot get ahold of them until two weeks pass. So my problem is will they survive until then in box unopened at the room temperature? They are sent barerooted in sphagnum moss.
Thank you in advance!
By uxleumas
wait, barerooted , but with moss? like a plug? i don't think it would last very long sadly, if it was a bigger one maybe. put the box in the sun for about 20~30 minutes and it will be safe to touch (still be careful) in the case of just your parents not letting you touch it, i suggest opening it with gloves on (no need for face masks, whatever particals that may have been present would have settled down in a few hours. ) carefully then in a premade pot filled with medium, stuff it in and water it, top water for 2 weeks and after that, you can safely touch it and make minor ajustments with oyou hands that will make it happier, maybe make some divisions. an alternitive solution is to put the box 20 weekswith a chance of it dying from drying out. if it's wrapped in plastic and put in a ziplock bag, no worries, it can do with 2 weeks of no sunlight, if it's not, i suggest doign the first method i suggested. do not put plant directly though UV-C sterilazayion
By MikeB
If the plants are sealed in a plastic bag, then yes, they should survive. However, they will not be happy about being kept in the dark for two weeks. I bought some flytraps from a seller in Slovakia, and it took 30 days for them to reach me in the U.S. When they arrived, the plants looked very pale and "leggy", more like Chinese bean sprouts than flytraps (take a look at the pics). They all survived, and I'm rehabilitating them now, coming along nicely.
Aquilana liked this
By mcgrumpers
Are you unable to get to the box because of covid fears? If so note that the two week quarantine period is for humans (in case they're asymptomatic), not plants or mail.
By Aquilana
Thank you for replying. Yes, they are wrapped in sphagnum moss and no there is no problem for the COVID situation so they can be handeled, only my friend has no experience with vfts or other plants so he wants to keep it in a box. Could he maybe put them in a fridge until they arrive? Or tell my friend to open the box and do something with the babies anyway?
Last edited by Aquilana on Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By uxleumas
putting them in the fridge wouldn't be harmful, it could help it prevent drying out, and also help slow growth of mold down, if you don't have any media for the venus fly traps, you should wait.
By hungry carnivores
Aquilana wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:38 am Thank you for replying. Yes, they are raped in sphagnum moss and no there is no problem for the COVID situation so they can be handeled, only my friend has no experience with vfts or other plants so he wants to keep it in a box. Could he maybe put them in a fridge until they arrive? Or tell my friend to open the box and do something with the babies anyway?
Wrapped sphagmoss is not a good idea. Especially in the fridge. I've had plants for that way. They also need light and want tons of it.

I'd have your friend put the vfts in a plastic bag, keeping the sphagnum on them. Have your friend then put the bag on the window.

Cheers!
By MikeB
hungry carnivores wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:03 pmI'd have your friend put the vfts in a plastic bag, keeping the sphagnum on them. Have your friend then put the bag on the window.
But not in direct sun. If the bag is closed, it will heat up and bake your flytraps to death.
By Aquilana
hungry carnivores wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:03 pm
Aquilana wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:38 am
Wrapped sphagmoss is not a good idea. Especially in the fridge. I've had plants for that way. They also need light and want tons of it.

I'd have your friend put the vfts in a plastic bag, keeping the sphagnum on them. Have your friend then put the bag on the window.

Cheers!
I will tell my friend to keep them in zip bags and put them by the window with indirect sun. Hope it works! Thanks!
By Aquilana
I will tell my friend to keep them in the zip bag with sphagnum and put them by the window in indirect sunlight. Hope it works! Thank you all! :D
Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!