FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
I've been looking for some small rectangular planters to hold multiple Venus flytraps. I was rummaging around eBay last week and ran across this:
Tray.jpg
Tray.jpg (695.66 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
Japanese Plastic Bonsai Training Pot / Home Garden Planter

Interior dimensions (L x W x H)
16.5 in. x 9.25 in. x 5.5 in.
41.9 cm. x 23.5 cm. x 14 cm.

Capacity
14.5 quarts
13.75 liters

I bought a set, and it arrived today. They're decent planters: reasonably sturdy, good drainage. I'll have to line the bottom with sphagnum moss to prevent the soil from leaking out through the drain holes. Each planter is small enough that I can use a 1020 tray as a saucer. It would be nice if the planter was available in white, but I guess you can't have everything....

I'm thinking that I can get 12-15 flytraps in each planter with plenty of room for them to grow. Based on my experience with 14-inch / 35-centimeter bowl pots, it takes a lot longer for the soil to go "sour" in a large container than it does in small pots.

If you're interested in trying these trays, here is the auction link on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142310823405
Set of 4
$27.99 + $17.66 shipping
$11.41 each

Note: The seller only ships to the continental U.S.
By Greenthumbs Garden
hey dude, looks ok, but I would be inclined to get something deeper. Just if you are going for a big container anyways you might as well get as much depth as possible. VFTS loves deep pots. 20m should be great!
those styrofoam cooler boxes look great once modified with some drainage holes and have awsome depth and insulation. you can sometimes find them cheap. I think ill get one also one day.
MikeB liked this
By MikeB
Dr GreenThumb wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:14 pmhey dude, looks ok, but I would be inclined to get something deeper. Just if you are going for a big container anyways you might as well get as much depth as possible. VFTS loves deep pots. 20m should be great!
20 meters! Good god, what kind of flytraps are you growing? :shock: ;)

14cm is on the low end of the scale, but it's usable. My 35cm-diameter bowl pots are about the same depth, and flytraps grow well in them.

Dr GreenThumb wrote: those styrofoam cooler boxes look great once modified with some drainage holes and have awsome depth and insulation. you can sometimes find them cheap. I think ill get one also one day.
I've seen people use styrofoam cups as pots, but it never occurred to me to use a small styrofoam cooler as a planter. Do you know if the outside can be coated with something to make it more durable?
Greenthumbs Garden liked this
By Greenthumbs Garden
@MikeB, 20m :lol: :lol: I mean 20cm.
yeah, you could coat it, it's not a bad idea actually. you would need a primer coat first. a synthetic multipurpose primer that's good for PVC and such. then a synthetic topcoat.

Or you could get some vinal and stick that on which could be cool. or even some thin wood and make a nice surround for it. somthing like this, to tart it up a little
By omnipercp15
Magic Mutt wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:30 pm I work at cvs and we get coolers just like that at the pharmacy. They just toss em too...
there is definitely a lot of materials that would usually get thrown away that are really good for hobbyists of some sort, including gardeners/CP lovers and aquarium enthusiasts. even medication and the frozen foods are shipped in these kinds of styrofoam containers, and then people just toss them but they can in fact, be upcycled to reuse.

one common kind of container that some CP growers use for the VFTs is the styrofoam or plastic cups that we buy fast food drinks from. They are sufficiently tall enough, easy to make holes in, and easily obtainable/replaceable if needed.
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!