FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Mojostarman
This picture is from last Friday. By today they have eaten holes in every pitcher. Any ideas on what I could do to stop it? Or will I they survive and grow new growth if I just let them get eaten. Whatever is doing it is taking large chunks out mid pitcher. These are In DFW, Tx growing outdoors
Attachments:
8D182CAD-103F-40BD-B16F-A662198C8BD0.jpeg
8D182CAD-103F-40BD-B16F-A662198C8BD0.jpeg (250.57 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
By uxleumas
could be a slug, they're the larges thing that comes to mind that would make sense. the bites are quite smooth so it couldn't be a small animal. catipillars are a posibility but there would be muntiply holes. here's a website that might work for your problem, though i wouldn't use coffee grounds or egg shells since that's fertilizer
edit: forgot link, here: https://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/ ... rally.html
Mojostarman liked this
By Mojostarman
I’m going to try the beer trap method because I have 3 cans of beer I am not drinking in the fridge. Hopefully it will catch some slugs and save what’s left of my pitchers!
By Artchic528
My late grandmother swore by the beer method for her veggie plants. It might be safer than slug repellant granules.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mojostarman liked this
By Panman
Nice trap, but that is overkill for slugs. All they need is a shallow dish of beer. They crawl into it and drown. Of course, your trap would prevent the neighborhood alcoholic dog from drinking your beer. :D
By Mojostarman
Panman wrote:Nice trap, but that is overkill for slugs. All they need is a shallow dish of beer. They crawl into it and drown. Of course, your trap would prevent the neighborhood alcoholic dog from drinking your beer. :D
:lol: haha okay i will do the dish method as well, in case the dog wants a sip :lol:
uxleumas, Panman liked this
By Mojostarman
Okay. No slugs in my beer traps, just 5 doodle bugs and 6 gnats. I moved my pitcher plants up on a table on the back porch, maybe whatever is eating them
Won’t find them there. Someone suggested mason bees making homes for their larvae. Hmm. I have seen a baby possum as well. Thanks everyone for your thoughts
Attachments:
603A55B6-6154-48A9-9793-0D475AFC999D.jpeg
603A55B6-6154-48A9-9793-0D475AFC999D.jpeg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 5852 times
By Mojostarman
Sat outside waiting to see if I saw any slugs around My plants and I heard something in the bush behind me and a baby opossum crawled out from under the porch.... :shock: Assuming that is what ate these holes in my plants , I wonder why it Only went for the purple pitchers.... well they are put away on a table in the back yard area, hopefully it decides to mind it’s own biz
By ChefDean
Based on everything you have said, the pics you've posted, and looking back at Dallas area weather over the last two weeks, it's the young possum looking for water.
To me, the holes look ragged, chewed through. There is some crushing damage in a couple of spots, and the holes start where the liquid level is. In one pic you can see the liquid in a pitcher, so you know they're full. Last, the weather in the Dallas area has been up into the 90's with no precipitation, so the pitchers are the water source for the critter. It couldn't get at the water from the top, so it made it more accessible.
If you want to prevent any more damage and save your plant, either find a way to protect it, or get rid of the possum.
Good luck.
Mojostarman liked this
By Panman
Sprinkle the soil with red pepper flakes. It does a good job keeping away squirrels for me, it may work for possums also.
Mojostarman liked this
By Mojostarman
dean, i think it is the possum too. i dont neccesaarily want it gone for good i just want it away from my specific garden area. so tonight i will be trying this concoction based on panman suggestion.
"Hot peppers or hot sauce -- the hotter the better -- mixed with a little water and dish soap and applied to plants the possum finds tasty also repels the possum. Hot mustard mixed with a little water and dish soap works as well." i am going to appply a home-made a hot and nasty border ...
By Adriana
I want to mention you can also help out by leaving some water out in a flat dish for wildlife. This works for tomatoes when you have the problems of squirrels or woodchucks taking 1-2 bites out of multiple tomatoes -- they are just thirsty. Make water more easily accessible and everyone is happy :-)
uxleumas, ChefDean liked this

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!