FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Apollyon wrote:I checked them out a couple times throughout today and still green, so that's a good sign.
Yes, any amount of green means the tissue is still alive and has a good chance to start growing again. Good luck!
uxleumas liked this
By Apollyon
Hey Matt, I have a question if you see this. The VFTs are still alive, in fact I believe one of them is kind of growing. I think the other is on it's way out. The one that is producing growth though, it's looking like the plant is developing leaves without traps. Is that normal? Like it's trying to develop for photosynthesis and recover or something?
By Matt
Apollyon wrote:The one that is producing growth though, it's looking like the plant is developing leaves without traps. Is that normal?
Yes, when a flytrap is stressed it can produce leaves without traps. This can also happen when a flytrap isn't receiving sufficient light.

Apollyon wrote:Like it's trying to develop for photosynthesis and recover or something?
Any green leaves will photosynthesize and provide energy for the plant, so any new growth is good even if it is deformed or doesn't have traps.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Thanks man, I was hoping it was something along those lines. The smaller of the divisions appears to be pushing out new leaves at a decent pace, not much going on with the larger one. It's getting I'd guess about 10 hours of full sun at it's current location and then partial. I did keep them out of direct for about a week though to try to reacclimate to the outdoors. I have another one from you guys that is doing stellar though at the same spot(SD Kronos).
By Apollyon
Update: I attempted this "surgery" on two separate divisions. One of them took and is growing healthy traps. Unfortunately, the larger rhizome died off :( Still, I'm surprised at the rate of growth on the little division. We're in the Florida summer so there's no shortage of heat and humidity. I look forward to seeing how well the little guy does throughout the growing season. I'll update with another picture in the fall. I know there are others out there who are looking for some encouragement when they attempt to do this. A lot of us really care about our plants and are learning the nuances of cultivating the hard way. I just want to show that it can be done and that a plant may not be down for the count even when it gets bad.
Attachments:
20200711_134304.jpg
20200711_134304.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 3618 times
Matt liked this
By Apollyon
Yeah, thanks again for all of your help! I did end up feeding it some bloodworm pieces. I saw one of the smaller traps had eaten an ant at some point :lol: This particular VFT is probably my favorite so I'm glad I was able to save it. It has two growth points that I can see, it may have a third. I'm hoping by this time next year it'll be close to what it was when I received it.
By Rudy1776
Apollyon wrote:Yeah, thanks again for all of your help! I did end up feeding it some bloodworm pieces. I saw one of the smaller traps had eaten an ant at some point :lol: This particular VFT is probably my favorite so I'm glad I was able to save it. It has two growth points that I can see, it may have a third. I'm hoping by this time next year it'll be close to what it was when I received it.
This has been a fun thread to follow! Goes to show how hardy these plants can be! Glad to see yours grew back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Apollyon
Wanted to post an update now that the growing season is wrapping up here. Here is a pic of the plant as it looks today. It has recovered nicely and grew a few offshoots. Ill divide the plant after dormancy to give them some room and light to grow. Hoping that it'll look a lot better next season!
Attachments:
FTSPA101120
FTSPA101120
20201011_165309.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 3230 times
20201011_165320.jpg
20201011_165320.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 3230 times
evenwind liked this
By Apollyon
Wanted to do an update on this plant. Today I split it up and repotted it in a nice hydropot. When it was all said and done, I had 8 separate plants that spawned from the original plant. Most of them were overcrowded and had little room to grow. After some serious surgery, I was able to carefully split them up and put them in their new home.

I was totally amazed at the rebound of the main two plants though. Seeing as it happened in late June and had about half a season. I'm hoping this sucker gets majestic by the end of the season now that they have space. :lol: The other two were quite fragile and I potted them separately. If they survive, I think I will have a giveaway and offer one up for a trade or something.
Supercazzola, elaineo, Vanval1230 and 1 others liked this

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!