FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
Back when I first started with this hobby, almost 40 years ago now, the conversation about water was all about ph and chlorine. Now it is tds in the water. My question is, does a low tds indicate water that is less likely to be alkali? I could see how that would be the case.
By Greenthumbs Garden
yes, soft water tends to be more acidic. soft water meaning low TDS or ppm. That's what I got from my fish keeping days anyways, lol.
Panman liked this
By Shadowtski
This is only my guess but I think water with a TDS of 0 has a balanced PH of 7.
Anything you add to the water will increase the TDS and drive the PH towards 0 or 14, depending on the acidity or alkalinity of the addition.
Back in the misty ancient days of CP culture, there was no such thing as a small inexpensive TDS meter.
You had litmus paper and horribly inaccurate PH meters.

Back then, I used Milwaukee tap water.
That was a horrible thing to do to CPs.
I had to repot them almost every year.

Good growing,
Mike
By Greenthumbs Garden
just ran a quick ph test out of curiosity, the top is my RO water which is about 30ppm at the moment, and the bottom is ur tap water which registers about 260ppm. I don't know how accurate these strips are but the RO looks to be about 6 where our tap water is at 8.
ph test.jpg
ph test.jpg (197.08 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
Panman liked this
By Panman
Shadowtski wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:17 pm This is only my guess but I think water with a TDS of 0 has a balanced PH of 7.
Anything you add to the water will increase the TDS and drive the PH towards 0 or 14, depending on the acidity or alkalinity of the addition.
Back in the misty ancient days of CP culture, there was no such thing as a small inexpensive TDS meter.

Back then, I used Milwaukee tap water.
That was a horrible thing to do to CPs.
I had to repot them almost every year.

Good growing,
Mike
And finding information about CP was next to impossible. There were a couple of decent books and the CP newsletter. If you had a question, you mailed it in and maybe heard something back after a month.
By Panman
Dr GreenThumb wrote:just ran a quick ph test out of curiosity, the top is my RO water which is about 30ppm at the moment, and the bottom is ur tap water which registers about 260ppm. I don't know how accurate these strips are but the RO looks to be about 6 where our tap water is at 8.
ph test.jpg
That is much of what I would expect. My tap is 72ppm and the ph runs around 6. If I let it sit for 24 hours it is up closer to 7. That is because I have a lot of dissolved carbon dioxide in it.
Greenthumbs Garden liked this
By Greenthumbs Garden
Panman wrote:That is much of what I would expect. My tap is 72ppm and the ph runs around 6. If I let it sit for 24 hours it is up closer to 7. That is because I have a lot of dissolved carbon dioxide in it.
Yes, I read that rainwater can be lower still about 5.5 due to gasses dissolved in the water.
Shadowtski wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:17 pm Back in the misty ancient days of CP culture, there was no such thing as a small inexpensive TDS meter.
Panman wrote: And finding information about CP was next to impossible. There were a couple of decent books and the CP newsletter. If you had a question, you mailed it in and maybe heard something back after a month.
Sounds brutal! I tried many times to grow VFTs, I would buy them in the garden center, they would last a month slowly looking worse then die... used to really get me mad. Then stealing my neighbor's wifi one day on my laptop I'm surfing the net and found this forum... my plant at the time died, but now I had a resource. I couldn't believe there was a community of people out there that had the same interest. I never thought before to buy a book, I did not even think there would be a book on the subject. Finding the forum was a gem, I would not be growing these plants today without it.
By Panman
For a little context, we didn't get a computer until I was about 3 years into the hobby. That was an Apple II. IBM PCs hadn't come to market yet. The internet would wait for another 10 years or so.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!