FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
Anyone have any tips for minimizing evaporation from watering trays? Would filling the spaces between the pots with live sphagnum help at all?
Also, is there anything that makes a good mulch for larger CP pots with just one large plant in them? Would heavily rinsed hardwood leaves, chopped up into small bits, work?
By Bhart90
Yea lfsm is the safe bet, I got a tray STRICTLY of slab seedlings I a tray of lfsm, and now that's it's been 4 months it's practically 100% self sustaining, it just found a happy medium, no pun it's tended hahaha

And I have a ton of random mosses growing from that dead, kind of neat to see a what comes of it. Like box of chocolate...
By Greenthumbs Garden
Just searching a topic on mulching VFTs in pots to help keep roots cooler in summer months and came across this. Great ideas, I need to get some live sphagnum moss and will try this, if it goes well the best part is it will hopefully provide a supply of fresh live sphagnum.
By twitcher
I use standard greenhouse trays and get the transparent domes that are designed to cover them. The domes come in at least two different heights, so I can get the appropriate size for low rising or high growing plants. I needed to do this once my collection got larger in size. The task of keeping water in them was becoming tedious, to say nothing of getting a good supply of sufficient quality water.

I estimate that the water in the trays lasts about 7 times longer be keeping them covered with the domes, but that depends on how much time I keep the plants covered. Doing this for my pings (and dews, utrics) means that I have to shift plants around from 'low" trays to "higher" trays depending on what is blooming. This has not been a burden since keeping an eye on the show-offs is good care for the plants.

The trays and domes last a long time, as long as handled carefully. My first set is years old.
By MikeB
@mcgrumpers: Those small, white, styrofoam balls are worth a try. They would certainly reduce the water surface area that's exposed to the air.
Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!