FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
This fern like plant came in with the albino Capes I got a couple of years back, but only on one. When I first noticed it, it was small, and I posted a pic. At that time, the general thought was a type of fern.
20200611_082156.jpg
20200611_082156.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 9465 times
I pulled it then, and several times since, but it keeps coming back, but it is not spreading. (maybe because I kept pulling it out) It seems to be even bigger this year after the pot got left out in an unexpected cold snap and I thought I'd lost the Capes.
However, after a dormancy, not only did the Capes divide (5 now from the original 2), this plant is doing much better.
It doesn't seem to be a danger of crowding out the Capes, I'm just curious as to what it may be.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Chef
By Berrybob
It does look like a fern. It probably keeps coming back because of spores on the leaves. Could you take a picture of the bottom of the leaves?
ChefDean liked this
By ChefDean
20200611_090235.jpg
20200611_090235.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 9442 times
One leaf (frond) happens to be angled to get a pic of the bottom, no spores. Plus, the biggest stem is only about 2 inches long.
Again, it hasn't spread in 2 years, and it only comes up around a single plant. If it were dropping spores or seeds, I would think it would have spread.
Since it doesn't seem to be causing a problem, I haven't pulled it this year to see what it will do. I'm just more curious than anything.
By ChefDean
You're both likely correct, that it's a fern coming back from the root, it just hasn't had enough time to produce spores. I'll leave it as it doesn't seem to be an issue for now. I can always repot it and separate it out if it becomes a nuisance.
Thank you both for your help.
Chef
By oval
Ferns, if I remember my botany from years ago, have a haploid and a diploid generation. This would probably be the diploid generation if it's a fern. I think the haploid generation would have looked kind of like a green patch before this sprouted from it. For me, I tend to not notice them in the haploid stage.

I know the ferns in my yard keep coming back when I pull them up, and proliferate all over the place.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!