FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Magic Mutt
Hello everyone, I'm a new cp owner..like many others I almost accidentally started this hobby. My brother came to me a few weeks ago with a vft in distress. He has seen me bring my gf's dead plants back to life and he hopes I can do the same here. Turns out he put them in organic soil and watered with tap water. I begin researching vfts and started healing the plant.

My first mistake was I cut off all the leaves, thinking them useless without traps that had blackened...i even remember thinking "wonder if it needs these leaves anyway..." the ocd got a hold of me and I snipped. I also made substrate errors... nothing too crazy, just bad quality lfs.

Also I let them sit in (distilled) water for extended periods of time. Its weird how many sources say to do this. All these mistakes were happening simultaneously, which shocked the hell out of the poor little thing.

I half-assed the research tbh and I regretted it.

Sometime during this process, I go to Home Depot to see if they have any typicals because I remembered seeing them there before...and yep they sure do. So I pick out 2 and that way I have something to look at while I heal my brother's plant. Plus i know I will give it back to him one day then I wouldn't have none for me :(

Well when I got those 2 I was still in the over- watering phase and I didn't acclimate them, I just threw them outside into the sunlight. Still being soaked the whole time.

Also by this time i ordered a b52 adult from predatoryplants (I'm in too deep now, my brother says)

Ok so, finally a light bulb went off in my head last week, I said to myself "Where do i go when I need to find people who are like-minded and resourceful about specific topics? Duh the forums!" Then I thought "Ok so now there must be a good forum for flytrap enthusiasts, right?"

Low and behold a flippin vft info heaven done popped up in my search! Now I'm getting lost in this site and so much that I'm reading makes sense too. I figured out most of my issues by reading the flytrapcare links, but also by seeing the advice given to others as well.

So now I know a repot is necessary, and better lfs, started looking on Amazon then thought "maybe I should support the site where I got all the correct info from..."

So now I'm patiently awaiting my fts order of 10 square white pots, large nzplfs.....and fts flaming lips (i couldn't resist getting at least 1)

So onto pictures
This is what it looked like when I got it

And when I got the typs, before I knew clay was a no no

All 3 after bad conditions, before b52 arrived

Finally!!!....(except at this point I found fts and now I know it would be better to order better materials, which I did) this picture was taken earlier today. As were the ones below.

Little guy repotted in leftover moss from b52, i could only fill little over half the tiny pot, i wrapped the rhizome good i think and im checking the moisture constantly

Lost quite a few traps since i got it but starting to bounce back. Also i cut flower stalk a cpl weeks ago when I noticed it. That might another* reason why it's slow growing. Fed it a tiny worm i found while repotting something else.

Typical #2 Growing good, I think just getting used to drier conditions and more sun.

Keep in mind all will be repotted once my order arrives...i bought the stuff, watched the taco video, im ready to roll!

Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post :)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

By Magic Mutt
Didn't mean to post the last pic, getting used to tapatalk. But its a pic I took to show the small amt of lfs I had to spare and to see if I shouldn't wait for the new pots/moss before repot

By Matt
Your story sounds very similar to mine when I started growing these plants again as an adult!
Magic Mutt wrote:I'm in too deep now, my brother says
That's what my wife thought too when I started in the hobby again 13 years ago now!
By ChefDean
Your plants look great, keep it up and they should recover just fine. VFT's are tough little plants as long as basic needs are met (water, light, media). It sounds like you'll be giving your brother back a very healthy plant.
Magic Mutt wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:39 amI'm in too deep now, my brother says.
We all are little brother, we all are.
By Magic Mutt
Joshuamarshall792 wrote:
Magic Mutt wrote:If it dies ill just buy a death cube and say I healed it

Lololololololololololololol! don't give up man!!! That's exactly what I was gonna do with my king Henry, or just stop growing carnivores!!! But I came up with a smart idea to me that actually was what killed most of my other plants! Which was kinda dumb! I chopped it all down, don't do it if you really don't have to mine was just a pale green droopy mess! With non-functional traps!!! But I now have a very healthy fly trap!!! That doesn't stop growing!!! It got fed 3 times now... So hopefully you don't throw away money! Keep it And try again with just a rhizome with a few bits of new growth!!! I don't recommend you buy a death cube! Because every one, I'm serious! EVERY ONE I GET! it always dies and I had at least 29 of them! They never survive! Just try the best you can with yours! Don't give up!!!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Your King Henry looks great I've seen the thread. Unfortunately I've already made the same mistake and chopped mine down, but it only had a cpl leaves at that point. It wasn't as drastic as you chopping yours.

I found out today his is a typical from Joel, I just couldn't tell because he repotted it into a tall coffee mug with organic soil Image
chock-full of nutes
Also, tap water,
Also no drainage hole,

He completely tossed aside Joel's care instructions and treated it like a regular plant, the knucklehead

By Magic Mutt
Sorry I was talking about my brother in the second half, just to be clear. I goofed and deleted a sentence

By Magic Mutt
Joshuamarshall792 wrote:Well your brother needs to learn more kinda like my sister fed my plant a Barbie leg and gave it glitter nail polish in it's soil when I was staying after school when I was 12 so I learned that she was pretty dumb too

Yeah but he's 38 lol

ChefDean liked this
By Magic Mutt
Joshuamarshall792 wrote:Oh my gosh dude I'm very sorry! I bought my first king Henry cultivar when I was 8 from Joel when he sold that cultivar, now he doesn't sell wack but my mom told me it is cold hardy, and little did I realise it was going dormant and I thought it was dying so I threw it away thanks to my moms advice!!!

Well technically she wasn't wrong Image

sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Magic Mutt
Package arrived! I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I opened the box... what I found was a beautiful plant that, no doubt was in the same exact condition as was sent! (From the other side of the country no less) I wish I had the patience to take a picture of it before I started tearing into it like a madman... thanks guys totally happy non bias, u will be sending me an alien soon im sure.

Another angle

Plus i got a new death cube from the depot because i liked its traps better than the typicals I have now

I didn't repot yet because those square pots i ordered are bigger than I thought they'd be and im considering using something else. I'm not sure yet how much that moss increases in size when soaked with water, but it will only fill a certain amount of those pots. I have a few other uses for them and im still happy with them. Maybe even get more.

As for the flytraps I may do the Styrofoam cup thingie, but maybe with slightly bigger ones then the average size. Obviously I ain't touching your guyses handiwork for the next 9 months...

Seriously though, I am really impressed with the shipping method Matt & Leah use. (I know most of u probably know already)

i wish the b52 i ordered from PP came like that. Image

I will get something tomorrow to repot, also I'm maybe considering getting a self-watering pot if I like the system it uses... we'll see. Thanks again

By Magic Mutt
It won't let me edit the last img to fix so I will post here

I divided the b52 when I repotted it so I can spread em in a decent sized container later

By Magic Mutt
Sadly the KMS I ordered did not like the journey in the mail and I think half the plant blakened in the mail

I'm not complaining or anything I'm still happy with my purchase. Judging by my growth with the other vfts this one will eventually grow too. I'm just not sure if those thin little leaves will let get enough light and it will take forever. Anyone with KMS who know how fast they grow with only 2 leaves please lmk And thanks in advance

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!