FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Sundeewz
I’m planning on buying some longifolia and am wondering if I could grow them like epiphytic orchids, but with more water. I’m envisioning growing them outside in an I drained hanging pot in water logged lfs. Also I live in zone 10b in SoCal, if that helps.
By Huntsmanshorn
Yes, they should grow like that reasonable well, and then you will most likely have a giant green ball of longifolia with "leaves" coming out every which way, if you can keep it from drying out on you anyway.
Sundeewz liked this
By crazy_carnivores
yep I grow them in a netted pot and allow the pot to drain in between waterings.
Sundeewz liked this
By Sundeewz
By the way, does longifolia have a dormancy like reniformis? I've been trying to do some research on it and the best answer I could find about it is to keep it drier during the winter.
By hungry carnivores
I have one growing on Aggrofoam - type plastic as an epiphyte. Seems to work, but pots do better. Maybe try with U. Reniformis, which grows like a weed.
By Sundeewz
hungry carnivores wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:46 pm I have one growing on Aggrofoam - type plastic as an epiphyte. Seems to work, but pots do better. Maybe try with U. Reniformis, which grows like a weed.
I was thinking about getting reniformis instead but I don’t think my climate would be kind to it. Summers in Southern California easily get to the 90s and occasionally 100s.
By Sundeewz
hungry carnivores wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:20 pm I'm based in CA as well. Reniformis doesn't care.
Hm, I may have to consider getting one later on. Does humidity happen to have any impact on its growth?
By Sundeewz
I’ll try my hand at longifolia for now, but if it turns out to be successful I’ll definitely hit you up.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!