FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

What brought you into the hobby?

I saw a vft, became interested, here I am!
44%
Bought a vft, noticed there were so many cps, had to get some more.
33%
Bug Control
11%
Another CP enthusiast.
11%
By sanguinearocks101
Hello, I just wanted to do a survey on what caused people to first get into the CP hobby. Let me know if there are any other options you think I should put in the poll.
Last edited by sanguinearocks101 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By evenwind
I got in because I wanted a chemical-free way of controlling the fungus gnats on my orchids. I researched and bought a ping...
By uxleumas
I saw one at wallmart and thought, "hey! that looks nice." Back then I had NO idea, not even the tinsyest bit of how to care for it, so i just assumed it would be a regular house plant. unfortuantly, that also ment i tried feeding it salmon sushi... i lost interest after all the traps closed... so it dried up and died. After a year or so, I looked online and found a website on cps (actually i have no idea how i rediscovored my interest in cps) my first cp that i Didn't kill was from a gel bottle. Now my collection is so big i need a larger light (see grow list). until now i never had an idea how much light they really needed, so all they got was enough to make them slightly rosy sometimes in the inside. I tried to give them 24hours per day light just to see what would happen (i'm just wanted them to get more redish) and now they're growing at least 2 times bigger
Ben Goudge liked this
By Ben Goudge
When I was eight, I saw VFT's at a zoo gift shop, and immediately became interested. I convinced my parents to get me one. I kept poking its traps, and it died. A month or so later, I stumbled upon a copy of Peter D'Amato's "Savage Garden" and checked it out. I was surprised and awed at the sheer variety of CP's. My parents did not want me killing any more plants, so I lost interest for a while. Five years later, on the way home from the beach, I noticed a store selling carnivorous plants. We stopped, and I bought a Drosera Capensis. Later, I would find out that this shop was none other than Predatory Plants, creator of many awesome Nepenthes hybrids!
uxleumas liked this
By Panman
When I was 15, I stumbled across a bog in upper New York state. It was loaded with Drosera intermedia. I asked my scoutmaster what they were and he explained they ate bugs. That was so amazing to me that it started my hobby. 40 years off and on I have been collecting. Now I have a daughter who is also interested in them.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!