FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By uxleumas
I recently got one of those nepenthes in tissue culture jars, and I was wondering if i could put it through 5 mintues of UV-C sterilizations without any very major harmful effects? i think the wavelength range should be 240 nm wide. any help is apreciated!
By uxleumas
just because of covid 19 and stuff my dad insists that everything sits for 2+ weeks or be steralized. i also have a flytrap on the way with a sarracenia division, would that be okay to run under UV-C light?
By ChefDean
Copper2 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:35 pm UV will probably kill the plant.
Plants get UV A + B just by being outside. UV C is blocked by the Earth's atmosphere, so that will have an adverse effect with prolonged exposure due to the plant not being used to it. But A and B will have no adverse effect.
His dad is just being protective, be nice.
uxleumas wrote:that's kinda rude and I'm prety sure UV-C will not directly kill the plant. I'll test if it will kill plants using some other plants I have.
UV C will eventually damage your plants with too much use, and it will damage you by potentially causing cancer quicker than UV A or B. Because UV C is blocked by the atmosphere, you're not used to it either, so I wouldn't use it personally. I don't know why anyone would use UV C without proper protective equipment.
If your dad is that concerned about sterilization of a plant that is already in a sterile environment, just open it up outside so that the sunlight hits it. Pot it up outside, but don't leave it outside too long, maybe an hour in direct morning light right after sunrise because your plant won't be used to it the lower humidity and direct light. An hour is enough for sunlight to kill the virus. Then bring it in, dome it to keep humidity up, and put it in indirect light. Same thing with the Sarr and VFT.
Slowly acclimate it to the lower humidity, to whatever level you're going to grow it in, and you should be good to grow.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By uxleumas
Thanks ChefDean! I just asked my dad and he said to not use UVC light on plants. i think he didn't know what was inside of the box i got, and assumed it was a non-living thing.
What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!