FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
Hello,

I bought two potted Judith Hindle pitchers. They are in 2" pots and could obviously use more room. I also have several larger containers of mine that are getting crowded. Normally, I wait until everything is dormant before I do any moving around, but Judith is starting to shoot her roots out the bottom of the pot. Do you think it would be a problem if I moved my existing, crowded pitchers up to a larger pot? I would do my best to maintain the current root structure.

Thanks.
By steve booth
You can in theory repot Sarracenia at any time of year, if you dont disturb the roots and keep the media very wet for a week or so, they will only suffer minimal or no set back. Much better to do that than leave them in 2" pots that will definitely inhibit their progression.

Cheers
Steve
By hungry carnivores
I wouldn't bare-root as many do. Just cut the pot off with a razor, and put it in the new soil. This should minimize shock.

Also, a disclaimer - be sure to label your plants! I tuck the labels into the soil for an aesthetic planting, but for my 2 inch pots, always labelled.
By Panman
Well, duh. I should have thought of that. These are the 2 inch pots.
Attachments:
IMG_03062020_210439_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
IMG_03062020_210439_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg (235.47 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
By optique
i have re potted mid growing season with great success. basically get a larger pot ready fill it with media, put your old pot in the top of the new pot pack the media around it. then pull the root/media plug from the old pot and drop it in the hole. if the plug holds together you should have no shock to your plants.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
optique wrote:i have re potted mid growing season with great success. basically get a larger pot ready fill it with media, put your old pot in the top of the new pot pack the media around it. then pull the root/media plug from the old pot and drop it in the hole. if the plug holds together you should have no shock to your plants.
I second this. today I had to slip-pot VFTs and Nepenthes and I did something similar. packed around it with a chopstick to the desired level then popped the plant in the hole, soil and all. Minimal root disturbance. May be a little trickier with the grown out roots but the idea is roughly the same.
By Panman
Thanks, all. I slip potted them today. It took tremendous self control to not try and untangle the roots. I had a couple of deep 4 inch pots that they moved into.
By Panman
Thanks, all. I slip potted them today. It took tremendous self control to not try and untangle the roots. I had a couple of deep 4 inch pots that they moved into.
By steve booth
Well done, but you will find that 4" pots will also be too small, probably at the end of the season. Healthy Sarracenia do have surprisingly long roots and large rhizomes.
Cheers
Steve
By Panman
Thanks, Steve. I am planning on moving them to their more permanent location during dormancy. I just needed to get them some breathing room for this season.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!